PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 16v Brake Upgrade.

Jay
01-05-08, 10:45 AM
Hi i am just wondering what else i would need on a 1.2 spin nova for a brake upgrade apart from the discs, pads and calipers. would i need a gte/gsi servo?

Jay

lj
01-05-08, 10:49 AM
i run turbo brakes on the front of mine mate, and i've never felt the need to change servo...although when i put on here what i was doing ppl said ur'll need the servo...
yes upgrading the servo may make it better but it stops fine off and on track....

Dod
01-05-08, 10:51 AM
Wrong Forum

You also need Brake Fluid and a second person to help you bleed them.

Tool Wise, a Jack, Wheel brace, 11mm, 12mm Spanners, and a set of Large Allen keys or Allen key headed sockets and a ratchet, and a large Phillips/Cross head screw driver. Possibly a hammer

Jay
01-05-08, 10:51 AM
Ok that helps alot i think i will buy a servo.

Jay
01-05-08, 10:53 AM
Wrong Forum

You also need Brake Fluid and a second person to help you bleed them.

Tool Wise, a Jack, Wheel brace, 11mm, 12mm Spanners, and a set of Large Allen keys or Allen key headed sockets and a ratchet, and a large Phillips/Cross head screw driver. Possibly a hammer

I work at a garage so none of that is a problem, just wanted to no what parts i needed, thanks.

Dod
01-05-08, 10:57 AM
You dont really need a servo unless you're putting on rear discs. And as you've got a 1.2 and not a 1000cc item you're already a step ahead.

Stuart
01-05-08, 10:59 AM
you DONT need the servo. think of it like power steering.... ok its lighter but you dont turn any faster. Same with the brakes, the servo is only of use if you physically dont have the strength to press the brake pedal enough lol.

Jay
01-05-08, 11:01 AM
Oh right ok then so basically just disc, pads and calipers! :) Thanks guys.

Jay

Welsh Dan
01-05-08, 11:05 AM
Replace all four the flexi lines and fluid while you're at it :thumb:.

lj
01-05-08, 11:06 AM
does the servo need replacing for a rear disc set up? or can i just press the pedal harder? and is it worth doing the rear set up?

seems a bit silly to put disc's on the rear then back off the valve reducing the work its doing?... i understand if u don't it'll swap ends under hard braking but is it worth the time to convert?

Stuart
01-05-08, 11:07 AM
again you dont need the servo changing when fitting rear discs (unless your servo is shagged).

tbh you dont really need rear discs unless you need a good handbrake for rallying etc.

Dod
01-05-08, 11:09 AM
Yeah, it does.

You have 2 Calipars at the moment, with the rear Discs you have 4. Now, a 1.2 Sevro will do, the 1000 wont, but for all the hassle and cost involved you're better off doing it.

The Valve reduces the flow of fluid top the rear and and tightens them slightly less than fronts. Bacisially, imagine you lifting your hand brake at high speeds and think of the outcome.

lj
01-05-08, 11:13 AM
yeah understand why u do the valve thing but find it strange that u add disc's for better braking but then reduce what they do?

read drums set up right v rear disc's with vlave...what would be better on the brake test rollers i wonder....

Dod
01-05-08, 11:26 AM
Its not only that, they work more effectively with less effort required. They will lock easier and faster than Drums will, also there is a notable difference in brake performance. EG, I have a Disc Brake set up on one of My Cavaliers and I can stall a Transit van (110 bhp model) when being towed just by locking the breaks tight on take off. Double clutching and high revs on take off made no difference.

Stuart
01-05-08, 11:30 AM
the servo itself has shag all to do with the braking performance (you can still stop the car without it... and the bias box setups dont even use a servo!!!!)

the master cylinder and correct sizing of it (and the brake caliper pistons) is the critical bit!