PDA

View Full Version : Avo rear coilovers length

Lee H
01-05-08, 10:33 AM
Anyone got a Nova Avo rear coilover handy they can measure the length of. Need to know the length from the centre of where the bottom bolt hole is to where the piston comes out of the shocker body (ie length of shocker body).

Could do with this info asap then I may be able to order new coilovers today.

Cheers

Lee

ANDYRACER
01-05-08, 10:37 AM
I know Martin has a set, pm him.

davie_slim
01-05-08, 03:53 PM
ive got a set for a corsa b would they be much different?

davie

loggyboy
01-05-08, 04:11 PM
Identical

MARTIN KELSON
01-05-08, 09:07 PM
PM sent mate
Not sure on lengh but you want the shorter track ones.
Mine are Gaz not Avo
Gaz were great and swapped no problem for shorter version
Fitted and off for mot tomorrow! Fingers crossed......

Lee H
01-05-08, 09:11 PM
I'm just asking as I tried Avo's and they were too long so checking the shorter Gaz ones are shorter than the Avo's (does that make any sense?)

R1CH
01-05-08, 09:38 PM
I've got GAZ on the rear of mine, pretty sure there 15" (open).

garyc
01-05-08, 09:40 PM
GAZ will make them to what ever size u want. I sold a set to R1CH which were 15 inch open, I've now got 17 open on mine. iirc std damper length open is 19 inches!

R1CH
01-05-08, 09:46 PM
Aye thought it was 15", the first GAZ rears i got (direct from GAZ) were 19", way to long tbh was sitting on the bump stops when wound down to a decent ride height.
What size wheels you running ? i've got 15's on mine and with the coilovers wound right up the arch is about 50mm above the rim, if your running bigger than 15's and don't want it daft low then i'd probly go for 17" shocks.

Lee H
01-05-08, 09:52 PM
I'm running 16's and do want it low, the 9.5" ones are 15" open length IIRC so think those are the ones i'll be going for.

You have rear turrets though Rich? Have you not made the top of them higher than the standard mounting position?

This is how car sits with seperate springs and shocks, would like it a tiny bit higher.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6513/0034dv8.jpg

R1CH
01-05-08, 09:56 PM
If your wanting it low then you should be ok with the 15" shocks.
All the rear mounting points are in the std position, there not really propper turrets (they just look like they are), the origional bodywork is still there behind them, they were just added to strengthen the mounting points and to give somewhere to mount a strut brace.

Lee H
01-05-08, 10:05 PM
Yeah something like my picture but with the facility to adjust it slightly higher. Just hope I get away with needed no spacers on the wheels.

wilson_sri
01-05-08, 10:36 PM
iv got some here, still needing the lengh man?

Lee H
01-05-08, 10:47 PM
If its not too much trouble mate.

The Simps
01-05-08, 10:50 PM
the ones I had on my nova lee had loads of thread left to wind them down further. Its the fronts that could do with more adjustment. do they do alternative fronts?

Lee H
02-05-08, 01:00 PM
The Avo coilovers I had years ago were bottomed out when the tyre was only just in the rear arch so I sent them back and have ran seperate springs and shocks since.

With regards to the front ones I bought new front ones from Gaz as they can do them an inch shorter than the Avo's as my Avo's were bottoming out when the car was low.

The Simps
02-05-08, 01:25 PM
With regards to the front ones I bought new front ones from Gaz as they can do them an inch shorter than the Avo's as my Avo's were bottoming out when the car was low.

I found fitting my eccentric top mounts helped this no end on mine. Gained loads of extra thread.

Lee H
02-05-08, 01:58 PM
I found fitting my eccentric top mounts helped this no end on mine. Gained loads of extra thread.

Did help me a bit but was still bottoming out as the shocker bodies were too long for running it low.

MARTIN KELSON
02-05-08, 05:30 PM
Hi

Just got home. I measured the body of my rear Gaz coilovers earlier and there 8.5"
These are the shorter ones and to be honest Lee there is still loads of moment on the collar to raise or lower the car.
I personally think Lee if you go for the standard 9.5" Gaz ones you will be sending them back like i did as there too long to get the ride height you will be wanting.

Cheers

Martin

Lee H
02-05-08, 08:26 PM
Hi

Just got home. I measured the body of my rear Gaz coilovers earlier and there 8.5"
These are the shorter ones and to be honest Lee there is still loads of moment on the collar to raise or lower the car.
I personally think Lee if you go for the standard 9.5" Gaz ones you will be sending them back like i did as there too long to get the ride height you will be wanting.

Cheers

Martin

Where was that measured from and too? When I spoke to them earlier they said they did a 9.5" body and a 10.5" body only? Thats measured from centre of bottom bolt hole to where the piston comes out of the body?

MARTIN KELSON
02-05-08, 10:37 PM
Hi mate

I measured just the cylindrical body. If you were to go as far as the mounting bolt it will be the 9.5" you need.
You want the shorter of the two they make.

Cheers