PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 rotor arms!!

Lee
30-04-08, 11:00 AM
WTF? how complicated??. Just went out to pootle up to my grans for lunch and the bastid refused to start. Obvious first place to look was in the dizzy, and the thing had basically just vapourised lol But the whole mechanism looks way overkill to me! Madness!

Any dispack gen for a 1.2 lol

Jack
30-04-08, 11:06 AM
Roror? Any Lee = scooby doo gen? :p

Lee
30-04-08, 11:09 AM
lmao. lol.

Stuart
30-04-08, 11:12 AM
was it the rotor arm that looks like a light fitting?

My old 1.2 used to eat them every 6-9 months lol. thankfully its only 4 screws to get the fecker off.

Lee
30-04-08, 11:14 AM
Yep, thats the one lol. It properly ate this one, all the metal was lying in the bottom of the dizzy cap!

Thing is, i drove it to where its parked at present and nothing was abnormal, so it all must have held on to the very last second and then prolapsed lol

Stuart
30-04-08, 11:15 AM
yep mine would do that... drive fine but when you took the cap off to inspect it the bit of metal in the middle would drop off lol

Lee
30-04-08, 02:14 PM
Hmm, the plot thickens. New cap on and still wont fire, and im on my fecking own so I cant check for a spark.

I hate Novas.

Welsh Dan
30-04-08, 02:20 PM
I had a problem with a new cap once - the terminal for the king lead broke off when I plugged the king lead in, but I didnt find out what it was until I took the fecker back off lol.

Lee
30-04-08, 02:22 PM
Sorry, should have said Arm, not cap. Feck knows whats up with it, really cant be assed to be fault finding in this weather either! The cap looks fine to me, at least it should fire a little bit of the cap was dudded. Can't do anything till ive got a spare pair of hands anyway :(

Supposed to be going up to RJ's tomorrow too.

Rexy
30-04-08, 02:25 PM
get an xe in it stop tarting around.

craig green
30-04-08, 03:07 PM
Whats a dizzy? LOL

Lucas Pre-war ignition!

meritlover
30-04-08, 04:39 PM
this used to be common on 1.2 that belonged to me. wear was in the adv/ret mechanism and as the cap is so large and far away from the bush, the metal on the arm violates the cap and makes it break like mothers china teapot. it is my experience that once this happens once there is a big large chance of a re-occurance. it also wears into the cap where the center king lead is as theres a groove in the plastic tha
the metal fragments/filings got into the small pick-up coil (gn/yw wires i think i remember the colours) and caused a havoc. i had to replace the coil in the end. if you have a spare distributor you can swap the leads and flick it over with your hand to induce sparks on the king lead (this will rule out the rest of the circuit and blame the distributer for causing you so much pain and suffer. it must be punnished by bin).
i hope you find that this is the information that will help you on your quest to have a running nova.

Lee
30-04-08, 06:59 PM
Hmm. odd happenings lol. Checked all the plugs, plenty of spark, and checked the fuel again, plenty coming into the carb. Also the carb is squirting plenty in.

It still refused to do anything. Eventually i ran the battery flat, so hooked it up to a mates car, carried on trying. Eventually i got it going on about 2 cylinders, which wouldnt rev for love nor money. Suddenly came onto 3, then 4 on idle but missing badly when giving it any revs. I took it up the road, thrashed the nuts off it, and it suddenly cleared and is now running fine!

WTF was that all about?????????????????? lol I HATE problems like this with a passion as I have no reasonable explanation for why it wouldnt start in the first place. You could say i flooded it on the first attempts, but i dont buy that as it would have cleared all that when i got it running smoothly on idle. It will probably do it to me again when im miles from anywhere now!

Welsh Dan
30-04-08, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the 1.2 owners club :).

General Baxter
30-04-08, 07:05 PM
just change the lot lol

plugs, cap, rotor arm, leads, costs about £15 from halfords lol

Lee
30-04-08, 07:05 PM
lmfao, nah, i disagree, this cars been hammered into the floor over the last few months without missing a beat.

I knew i should have left the old oil in it lol

Lee
30-04-08, 07:06 PM
just change the lot lol

plugs, cap, rotor arm, leads, costs about £15 from halfords lol

Yeah, thats the next thing im doing just to be sure lol

General Baxter
30-04-08, 07:06 PM
on a good note, i can now drive mine so ner lol

Adam
30-04-08, 08:26 PM
And people wonder why dizzys and carbs are so to** :p lol

meritlover
01-05-08, 08:48 AM
sounds like the plugs got soaked/fouled whilst cranking with no spark and 2 remained wet until it was thrashed. now its clear its fine.
good job to you!!