PDA

View Full Version : boring out 1600

rysmee
29-04-08, 09:31 PM
hi, anyone know whats the max a 1600 8v bottom end can be re-bored to?
Also what pistons/rods do people recommend?

Mike
30-04-08, 05:36 AM
1650 is defo a safe amount, dont know what the max is really as its not really worth the money IMO.

MC
30-04-08, 07:26 AM
You'll find that most machine shops will happily take it to 1650cc which I think is +1mm. It may be possible to go further but you will have to find someone that is willing to hunt through books of piston specs in the hope that there is one out there for another car that has the same dimensions. It's highly unlikely. 1650cc is a good step up as not only do you get a little extra capacity but you'll also lift the compression ratio.

MC

rysmee
30-04-08, 01:56 PM
ok thats cool thanks, anyone know of anyone on here thats done it before and can help with sourcing some pistons? not sure really where to find any!

craig green
30-04-08, 03:15 PM
Rob Compton (ex PNG old schooler) once wrote an article about taking a smallblock 1600 to the max. After destroying about 3 bottom end castings he stopped just short of 1.8 IIRC.

Stuart
30-04-08, 03:50 PM
your machine shop doing the bore work should be able to supply the pistons.

brucer
30-04-08, 06:35 PM
Rob Compton (ex PNG old schooler) once wrote an article about taking a smallblock 1600 to the max. After destroying about 3 bottom end castings he stopped just short of 1.8 IIRC.

he sounds like the man!!

Ash
30-04-08, 08:04 PM
hmmm, I wonder if you could make a 2.0 smallblock - stroked crank and differant rods....

Stuart
30-04-08, 09:26 PM
:s that would be huge bores and massive stroke... less than revvy :(

Ash
30-04-08, 09:33 PM
like a VW then, should be very torque tho. Was just hypothetical idea anyway.

peester
01-05-08, 12:22 AM
hey rysmee dont run away - ur the chap with the white gte, 1.6 8v on jenvey throttles/dta - novatech , arent ya??

hows it going?, if u are

rysmee
01-05-08, 01:21 PM
You'd be suprised how hard it is to get hold of some pistons for the 1.6 8v, i've tried novatech, qed, sbd and cant find a working number for bowyer developments so i'm pretty stuck! think i've got the head sorted now and the cam turning over.(Ref my other post: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95305 ) I think the figure is about 3.3 mm of lift at TDC so need to get the engine put together and a vernier on there and see how close they are to the pistons but i suspect they are going to hit.

meritlover
01-05-08, 01:23 PM
custom pistons from US of the A will be at cheapness because of the weak dollar. probably a lot cheaper to get a forged piston custom piston than an alternative OE piston from another engine. ;)

rysmee
01-05-08, 01:24 PM
Hey peester
gsi, boddies from novatech yeah but dont think they are jenvey's.
I'm not running away but thinking bout abandoning this build as trying to find parts/ info is getting harder!
It'd be so much easier if i went redtop but i dont want to be the same as everyone else!!!

rysmee
01-05-08, 01:26 PM
so i take it to get some custom pistons i just need specific dimensions of what i need ? there lies the first problem as i dont know what i need! i think i'll just have to destroy one of my pistons till i get it turning over then make some custom ones from that.

meritlover
01-05-08, 01:41 PM
try getting in contact with them you might be surprised how helpful they are. if you dont know what to measure, asking them will certainly be start. they will be able to help with ring land widths and distances from the crown etc..

Stuart
01-05-08, 01:47 PM
ohh shall I say it again lol.

The engineering shop that does the bore work should be able to supply pistons to suit... ie +1mm std pistons etc.

plus buying from the US might not work out cheaper as yes the dollar is weak (although the £ getting weaker isnt helping), you will be reamed for customs charges unless you can get a nice supplier there (there arent many) to mark is its a gift/samples etc.

rysmee
01-05-08, 01:55 PM
ok ok!!! I havent got anywhere that will bore it at the mo but hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere. I'm simply going on the fact that everyone i've spoken to inc bernie at novatech is saying i'll be lucky if i can find anyone to supply me with some.

Stuart
01-05-08, 01:59 PM
was he saying that to try and get you to buy some V expensive ones via him....?

btw your TB's arent Jenveys, they are Novatechs own custom made TB's

meritlover
01-05-08, 02:00 PM
ohh shall I say it again lol.

The engineering shop that does the bore work should be able to supply pistons to suit... ie +1mm std pistons etc.

plus buying from the US might not work out cheaper as yes the dollar is weak (although the £ getting weaker isnt helping), you will be reamed for customs charges unless you can get a nice supplier there (there arent many) to mark is its a gift/samples etc.

yes yes, just ask :roll: you might be surprised, and you might get it cheaper.

rysmee
01-05-08, 09:43 PM
no he wasnt actually! He said he's been trying to get some for someone else since jan and hadn't any luck.

mowgli
01-05-08, 10:54 PM
http://www.elringparts.co.uk/

KS piston part no.s

std 79.00mm piston 90 556 605
79.50mm piston 90 556 623
80.00mm piston 90 556 630

tom_beverley
02-05-08, 11:37 AM
IIRC when I was looking at this the Z18XE or X18XE1 internals will fit into a small 8v block i.e main journals are the same size.

Finding the above blocks to strip for parts for much cheapness shouldn't be too difficult at a scrappies either and plus you will have pistons, rods etc and just need to find somewhere willing to bore your 8v block out to the required size to suit.

craig green
02-05-08, 12:27 PM
1.6 XE pistons no use to have the crowns machined down?

rysmee
02-05-08, 10:01 PM
ok thanks chaps, i'm not sure how important it would be to have forged pistons.. and dont know ho much power standard ones from a 1.6 or 1.8 xe can take?? i'm looking to add some nos you see.. so need them to take at least 200 brake without sweating.

bernieb
16-05-08, 10:47 PM
:wall: ok ryan have you had enough of this ? , std. pistons were good enough for for 140 ish, I know someone who had 145 but not for long , 16v pistons have been machined flat I have some that could be used to experiment with , Martin has no forged pistons I only have 2 left because a supplier lost my pattern argh! .a new 1.6 8v is in progress but it is slow.
let me know what you are trying to achive

Bernie

craig green
16-05-08, 11:43 PM
Bernie from Novatech??

MC
17-05-08, 06:33 AM
Bernie, are you saying that standard pistons (+1mm) can't handle over 140bhp? If so please explain why not?

8v screamer
17-05-08, 04:48 PM
the shop that rebored bith mine and my old mans engines supplied our oversized pistons mine in my 1430ccc engine and the ones in dads 1600 whatever size it is engine.
theyre in henlow which is yes a long way from you. but they did tell me they couldnt get pistons for the late type 1.6 8 v engines as used in things like base model mk4 astras .

Lloyd

novatech
17-05-08, 05:18 PM
yes craig that Bernie :)

as for 140 on std pistons that is what we used in our first hot hatch engine we then went to cossie made pistons not sure if they would make these anymore any case a minimum order is what applies , std pistons running in dave collyers gte only lasted one day on the R.A.C. as the ring lands collapsed in 1994?
Im sure big power is attainable now with the no of good parts available ,BUT it all costs money and to many other engine choices are available.
if you want to see 157 hp look at the vid on our web site , who needs a big block :thumb: ,
Bernie

peester
17-05-08, 07:12 PM
http://www.nt-r.com/