PDA

View Full Version : Suspension?

shady_brady
01-09-02, 03:48 PM
Right guys and girls I recently bought a GSi suspension set but it came with -60mm springs which I've put on my question is this how low would this make my car? My second qusetion is now this I want to put it back up to the Gsi standed height the sound system is not enjoying it now with a constant skipping so what springs would I need to put on to do this taking in mind I'm after comfort and handling? Cheers Chaps :?: Ps what would be my best way of achieving maximum comfort and handling ?

rob.slader
01-09-02, 05:55 PM
The suspension you are talking about should make the car 60mm lower than standard ride height. It doesn't sound like they are a matched set of dampers and springs. Because of this you probably will get a harsh ride and probably a bit bouncy. The best option is to go for a matched shortened shock and spring kit. I run a Spax VSX kit on my 1400sr which has lowered it 35mm, doesn't look too low and the ride is very good. There are other kits available, cheapest is Gmax I think at around ?199, maybe less, this can go up to over ?500 for Avo or Koni kits. All depends how much you are willing to spend. You could get some 25mm or 35mm lowering springs to put on your shocks, these won't be as harsh as the 60mm ones and obviously cheaper than buying a whole kit. Probably around ?70.

ade
01-09-02, 09:34 PM
60mm springs will slam the car to the deck - provifing theyre fitted with the correct sizes shocks to match. If not your ride will roll, be bumpy and hence the sound system will jump all over the place.

GSi is (I think) 35mm lower than the standard novas but with GSi shocks, its prob not as low as it should be. If you get lowered shocks to match springs, you'll need to cut yer bump stops down 20mm - this will make car stiffer and improve the ride. If yer cd's skipping, try relocating it? O fastened mine to the underside of my parcel shelf - you cant see it, frees up space in the boot and hasnt jumped once!

Ade

sidney
01-09-02, 09:50 PM
IF YOU WANT A NOVA TO HANDLE WELL DONT LOWER THE FRONT TOO MUCH BECAUSE WHEN YOU BRAKE OR GO OVER BUMPS THE DRIVE SHAFTS PUSH THE HUBS AND WHEELS OUT TOO MUCH WHICH TEMPORARILY ALTERS THE SUSPENSION GEOMETRY.THIS WLII CAUSE THE CAR TO WANDER ALL OVER THE PLACE.
PREFERABLY JUST LOWER THE REAR.
THE BEST SUSPENSION UNITS YOU CAN BUY(FUNDS ALLOWING)
ARE BILSTEIN 2.25 ADJUSTABLE COILOVERS FITTED WITH A COUPLE OF LIGHT SPRING ASSISTERS ON THE FRONT.BUT THESE ARE EXPENSIVE !
TAS OR PROTEC SUPPLY PROGRESSIVE TARMAC RALLY SPRINGS FOR NORMAL STRUTTS THESE ARE CHEAPER AND MAY BE MORE SUITABLE.

brian
01-09-02, 10:46 PM
i have that 2.25 bilstein adjustable setup in mine and it's top notch :D

Anonymous
03-09-02, 10:33 AM
Coilovers are deffo the best option, if fnds dont allow then some replacement GTE spec shocks and some 30mm or so lowering springs would be a reasonable budget combination, just remember though that when you lower a car the shocks dont ahve as much travel to soak up bumps so wont work as well.

Chip

ollster
03-09-02, 08:46 PM
i run bilstien sprintline dampners with courtenay -35 mill srpings up front and - 60 mill at the back (SRI axel different hence lower at the back). This setup is fauntastic, its not too bumpy, and the handling is amazing. Also there are no scraps or bangs over speed bumps. The car looks really low too (i dont know how -60 all round clears the floor to be honest). This whole setup came to ?350 and i think its a bargain for the quality of the ride and also amazing handling