PDA

View Full Version : engine not ticking over

big gra
29-04-08, 04:48 PM
i can now get my engine started but it wont tick over and will only start using the accelerator, hesitates when revving up aswel, any ideas? ive been through all the breather hoses, replaced cracked rubbers, checked all ht-leads etc, still wont go.

Welsh Dan
29-04-08, 05:07 PM
Which engine is it? Have you tested the compression?

AlexW
29-04-08, 05:56 PM
not a carb is it?

big gra
29-04-08, 08:40 PM
its 1.6 gte, going to borrow a compression tester 2mz. the head has been rebuilt, skimmed and new head gasket

let_nova
29-04-08, 08:45 PM
do these have a icv?

slim23
30-04-08, 02:20 PM
Try the crank sensor lad thats the way thay run when the magnets breakup inside the crank pisinon sensor. also clean the air butterfly flap out in the throtlebody housing and change fuel filter could be a number of things hope this helps lad.:thumb: :thumb: :D

craig green
30-04-08, 03:50 PM
There is no crank sensor.

I'd look for any leaks in the vacuum pipes & check the dizzy wiring plug.

Is it timed up properly?

big gra
30-04-08, 04:42 PM
right, im now very confused. took all the spark plugs out and did a compression test, this is what i found:

cylinder 1- 180psi- sutty spary plug
cylinder 2- 180psi- sutty spark plug
cylinder 3- 180psi- clean spark plug, like new
cylinder 4- 0psi- sutty spark plug

the head was skimmed before rebuilding, any ideas?

meritlover
30-04-08, 04:45 PM
cylinder 4- 0psi- sutty spark plug

any ideas?

theres something terminal in your engine. you need a wet test.
head has to come off anyway ;)

big gra
30-04-08, 04:54 PM
just spend a week putting it all back together. think ill get the head off and get the valves out. :(

meritlover
30-04-08, 05:07 PM
before you do, please try this (for meritlover)
Remove the cam cover and make sure none of the rockers have fallen off the top of the tappets/valves and the followers are in place too!! (it can be easy to do if you are not a carefull) esp if you have split the head from the cam housing causing the valve not to open or fully open......and no compression. you can turn the engine over with socket on crank and watch to make sure the valves on no.4 are moving nicely up and down.

seems strange you put an engine together to get ZERO compression. youd expect at least something.
please do not fall out with your nova engine!!

big gra
30-04-08, 07:52 PM
any other thoughts would be appreciated, otherwise stripping head down tomorrow.

Adam
30-04-08, 08:13 PM
Maybe a hyd lifter on that cylinder is jacked up, and holding the valve(s) open

meritlover
01-05-08, 08:50 AM
any other thoughts would be appreciated, otherwise stripping head down tomorrow.

dont need to strip the head, just remove the rocker cover to have a look first