PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T Is Today (Woopy)

NovaLad
29-04-08, 11:35 AM
Yeah woopy for me :( lol

It's at 13:00.

Just finished cleaning up the outside went to take some pics to find out that my battery was dead on my cam lol

So not i'm lingering about a little while to get some charge then i'm off out for some pics before i have to have it examined lol.

Good luck to me :)

AlexW
29-04-08, 12:08 PM
Good luck, the better it looks the more likly it is to pass :)

Jack
29-04-08, 01:03 PM
£10 says fail on hazard switch lol

Jim Mcrae
29-04-08, 01:10 PM
Hopefully your repairs were all up to scratch then

NovaLad
29-04-08, 02:09 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/MD_Crew/FAIL.jpg

Yep it failed.

001 - Nearside headlamp not working on dipped beam.
002 - Offside Headlamp not in good working order adverely affecting beam image.
003 - Offside headlamp insecure.
004 - Horn does not function.
005 - Nearside front wheel bearing has excessive play. **DANGEROUS**
006 - Nearside front front constant velocity joint gaiter split.
007 - Offside front front constant velocity joint gaiter split.

lol

So yeah .... It's back in the garage on thurs morning to be fixed up and re tested and going to cost £185 all together.

WOOOOOOOOOO (not) lol

Apart from all that my uncle liked how clean my bay is lol

And it's amazing what GSi skirts hide lol

Jack
29-04-08, 02:30 PM
WTF

Seriouscat, thats stuff you should have spotted and got repaired before it went in for the MOT, surely you must have known at least the lights and horn were duff. Did you not check your car over beforehand?

Welsh Dan
29-04-08, 02:34 PM
Your maintenance is shocking, the only thing there that is excusable is the wheel bearing.

just vaux trev
29-04-08, 02:35 PM
you could do all that for about £30-50

Iain
29-04-08, 02:35 PM
Agreed you should really check over the car before you take it! It's obvious you didn't even look at it.

NovaLad
29-04-08, 02:41 PM
I knew the cv joints and bearing where gone and so did my uncle but we figured would be better to do M.O.T and find out everything wrong wiht it rather than fix them then find more wrong when do M.O.T.

The light i didn't know about as i was using diff bulbs till abotu 1 hour before then i switched them back to standard (didn't know 1 was nakkered.)

The horn broke yesterday it just basicly dragged along the floor all night till i realised so needs re mounting and earthing.

Dave.
29-04-08, 03:25 PM
jeesus.. i took mine and it ahd nothing wrong with it, dont you check the car once a month or so all over?

craig green
29-04-08, 03:54 PM
School boy errors really taking a car for an MOT with simple fix faults.

CoolTiger
29-04-08, 04:09 PM
doubt mine would even fail on that much lol

atleast there not to big of jobs to fix

Alex.
29-04-08, 04:11 PM
The horn broke yesterday it just basicly dragged along the floor all night till i realised so needs re mounting and earthing.

I was gonna say, make sure they turned the ignition on. Mine failed on just the horn not working. My dad turned the ignition on...horn worked. The bloke was like, Oh we didn't turn the ignition on.:roll:
But you've a valid reason lol

~~joycey~~
29-04-08, 04:35 PM
unlucky mate, as said above tho atleast its not alot of work :)

dave.gsi
29-04-08, 05:44 PM
i'd be quite pleased with that, everytime i've taken a nova near an m.o.t place i always seem to come home with 'excessive corrosion to..........' and then a list of about 10 different places lol

NovaLad
29-04-08, 06:23 PM
i'd be quite pleased with that, everytime i've taken a nova near an m.o.t place i always seem to come home with 'excessive corrosion to..........' and then a list of about 10 different places lol
lol

Adam
29-04-08, 06:53 PM
I knew the cv joints and bearing where gone and so did my uncle but we figured would be better to do M.O.T and find out everything wrong wiht it rather than fix them then find more wrong when do M.O.T.
Not really because youve now wasted time and money on things that should have been sorted before mot :p

Good news that it failed on pretty much fook all, all that is about 2 hours work.

Philsutton
29-04-08, 06:59 PM
pfffft thats nothing for a nova, ive had ones come back with their own hardback novel.

NovaLad
29-04-08, 07:00 PM
I havn't wasted no money because to re do ya test (M.O.T) it's free

7ova
29-04-08, 10:49 PM
did your uncle test it for you,
if so he is a rotten b*****d
unlucky mate:confused:

SRimon
29-04-08, 11:30 PM
What no rot?

Thats not a Nova MOT lol

NovaLad
29-04-08, 11:58 PM
Yeah arches have rust but nothing major.

None in bay - front arches - strut tops etc..

Matt2107
30-04-08, 08:53 AM
tbh if I was you I would have checked it over myself... then possibly got my mot testing uncle to give it a once over in exchange for a pint well in advance of your MOT date.

Rich
30-04-08, 09:11 AM
If you dont know what your looking for on an mot then its a waste of time checking a car over yourself unless it is very simple obvious things. Theres no harm in just sticking it in and see what it comes out with. At least you know exactly what you need to fix. Plus the re-test mot is free so its like having a free checkover

Dod
30-04-08, 09:15 AM
I actually dont bother doing any work on any of my motors, pre test. I mean why bother? YOu'll get a list of what has to be done when it comes back.

We have an NCT over here (National Car Test) It gives you a 2 year ticket so needless to say they are strick with it. If somethings wrong with the car, you'll know about it so everything has to be right and no messing.

Jack
30-04-08, 09:25 AM
its a waste of time checking a car over yourself unless it is very simple obvious things.
Like a duff headlight and broken horn? :D

Rich
30-04-08, 09:37 AM
yeplol

Matt2107
30-04-08, 01:43 PM
If you dont know what your looking for on an mot then its a waste of time checking a car over yourself unless it is very simple obvious things. Theres no harm in just sticking it in and see what it comes out with. At least you know exactly what you need to fix. Plus the re-test mot is free so its like having a free checkover

Most people have a haynes manual... so I'd advise following the pre mot check list thats in there.

dan16v
30-04-08, 03:57 PM
Shocking that most of what it failed on could have been fixed before the mot with ease, as others have said!
i must be lucky, ive never had a nova fail an mot!lol

twistysnovagte
30-04-08, 05:31 PM
its not that bad, mate mine failed on indicator bulb out on the wing,exesive play in the headlights, and a fecking blue dolphin hanging off my rear view mirror and thats it(apparantly no object is to be larger than 40mm hanging down from the mirror)fcuking jobs worth tw4t:mad: .and the following year even got a letter prior to my mot running out to take it in at discount price:mad:

meritlover
30-04-08, 05:39 PM
its not that bad, mate mine failed on indicator bulb out on the wing,exesive play in the headlights, and a fecking blue dolphin hanging off my rear view mirror and thats it(apparantly no object is to be larger than 40mm hanging down from the mirror)fcuking jobs worth tw4t:mad: .and the following year even got a letter prior to my mot running out to take it in at discount price:mad:

i dont know why your so angry, those are simple things that should have been noticed before you even took it to the station, so dont call the tester a 'jobs-worth.' you dont have to be a mechanic to know that all your lamps should work!
chances are that if he felt your car was in over all great condition and it was clear you actually bothered to inspect it yourself before you took it, he would have let you off with the rear view mirror.

a new bulb, light clip and remove the crap from your mirror get it back within 10 days and you get a free re-test. what are you complaining about?:roll:

Adam
30-04-08, 08:31 PM
NovaLad-90% of the time retests aren't free, UNLESS you leave the car with them to be repaired.
If it exits the garage, another test is carried out and a partial/full fee re-charged :p

NovaLad
01-05-08, 12:41 AM
I got told all re tests are free aslong as withing 10 working days. so i get 14 working days because of the weekend.

Matt2107
01-05-08, 01:14 PM
NovaLad-90% of the time retests aren't free, UNLESS you leave the car with them to be repaired.
If it exits the garage, another test is carried out and a partial/full fee re-charged :p

I'd agree with the above..... but I know a lot of back street garages that don't stick to that rule.

NovaLad
01-05-08, 01:20 PM
Mine went back into the garage at 9:30am going to give my uncle a ring at 2:00pm to see if it done.

Hopefully it will be.

meritlover
01-05-08, 01:22 PM
the rules are set by VOSA. some of it can be at the garages discretion, but there are standards/rules that must be followed

CoolTiger
01-05-08, 01:51 PM
is it done ??? did it pass ???

NovaLad
01-05-08, 01:58 PM
2min to go

CoolTiger
01-05-08, 02:33 PM
is it done ??? did it pass ???
:thumb:

NovaLad
01-05-08, 02:52 PM
Sorted now going picking her up ;)

CoolTiger
01-05-08, 03:04 PM
woop :) might tcut mine while its sunny :)

NovaLad
01-05-08, 04:29 PM
Nice.

My horn sonds gay

twistysnovagte
01-05-08, 09:53 PM
i dont know why your so angry, those are simple things that should have been noticed before you even took it to the station, so dont call the tester a 'jobs-worth.' you dont have to be a mechanic to know that all your lamps should work!
chances are that if he felt your car was in over all great condition and it was clear you actually bothered to inspect it yourself before you took it, he would have let you off with the rear view mirror.

a new bulb, light clip and remove the crap from your mirror get it back within 10 days and you get a free re-test. what are you complaining about?:roll:yeah i did have a quick going over of the car must of missed the wing bulb out, didnt check the headlights wasnt to know there checked(not a mot tester you see) and wouldnt also know that you cant have objects larger than 40mm, so yeah hes a fcuking "jobs-worth" to fail me on such petty things,not like the front end of my car is about to fall apart is it,and no the retest wasnt free(half the usual price).:roll: