PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding after Caliper fitting

Nova_Tek
27-04-08, 09:13 PM
Will be fitting my Calipers after refurbing them. I plan to do it myself so I can learn and save cash.

I'm only changing the fronts so will I only have to bleed each caliper and not the rears?

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but I'm new to Caliper fitting and bleeding :tard:

I will also be changing the rubber hoses for new items. When they are removed from the metal pipes will it leak brake fluid till it runs out?

Will standard Nova hoses fit on Ate calipers?

KITT1972
27-04-08, 09:28 PM
yes the hoses will fit and yes the brake fliud will leak. Use a clamp on felxi pipe like mole grips to stop fluid. when you put the calpiers on make sure the bleed nipple is at the top as the calipers can fit on both sides, if its at the botton you will never bleed the brakes properly

Nova_Tek
27-04-08, 09:59 PM
Ok cool mate.

Crimping the rubber hose I understand , but how about when I remove the rubber hose from the pipe? how do I stop the leak?

really hope I aint making myself sound stupid :tard:

:thumb:

Riggy
27-04-08, 10:18 PM
lol you dont best way to do that is unbolt old caliper and leave hanging on tie bar, fit new caliper and hose to caliper , then undo hose from car and swap then over quickly ,

then bleed them :thumb:

Nova_Tek
27-04-08, 10:21 PM
Got it, not so technical after all :D

Stuart
27-04-08, 10:30 PM
and get a gunsons easybleed from halfords... much easier using that on yer own than getting a mate to pump the pedal etc.

Lee
27-04-08, 10:56 PM
lol you dont best way to do that is unbolt old caliper and leave hanging on tie bar, fit new caliper and hose to caliper , then undo hose from car and swap then over quickly ,

then bleed them :thumb:

Yes he will, he mentioned he's changing the rubber pipes as well ;)

All you can do is be quick mate :) There will be some leakage. DONT get any brake fluid on any paint work at any cost!

Jeff16v
28-04-08, 04:29 PM
handy tip - take the rubber cover off the back of the caliper bleed nipple and cover the fixed pipe end with it after removing the flexipipe.:thumb:

Nova_Tek
28-04-08, 07:54 PM
Thanks fellas, got a good idea now. Will invest in the easy bleed system, hopefully its not too expense as money is tight hence me doing the whole thing myself.

Basically its like changing a tap on your bath and not being able to find the stopcock, quick change over :D

Clean 2.0 nova
29-04-08, 09:29 PM
Can't vouch for the kit mentioned, but i've found cheaper bleed kits a waste of money.

My tip is to PTFE the nipple thread first and fit a normal piece of hose on it going into a container. Get someone to press the pedal in, nip up the nipple to stop air going back in while they release their foot. Then open up the nipple again half a turn and repeat the whole process . I have found PTFE is a must as the valves on the bleed kits are pointless if air is getting back in around an un-sealed thread. Keep checking the fluid level as it soon goes down, only 4 or 5 pumps are required if I remember rightly.

Stuart
29-04-08, 09:37 PM
thats why you need a gunsons pressure bleed kit ;) no air to come back.

Clean 2.0 nova
29-04-08, 09:42 PM
I take it they are a vacuum kit. How much are they?

Adam
29-04-08, 09:44 PM
Eezi bleed kit is the bo**ocks. Just pressurize the system and open the bleed nipples.
Saves risking fooking your MC by the pedal pump method.

They are pressure kits, not vacuum.It forces the fluid through.
They cost £15

Nova_Tek
29-04-08, 09:47 PM
Sounds like the pressure bleed kit is the shizzle.

Hopefully I can get one if I swap my magic beans

Stuart
29-04-08, 10:02 PM
where in london are you? might be able to loan you mine (or atelast buy one in hellfrauds on trade card) if you are in the north east bit

Rich
30-04-08, 09:39 AM
Make sure you lower the tyre pressure to about 20psi or less when you use the easy bleed

Nova_Tek
30-04-08, 02:58 PM
Was looking at the vacuum ones but they need an air feed. Saw a few EEZI - Bleed kit. there is qiute a few on ebay that are cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EEZI-BLEED-BRAKE-AND-CLUTCH-BLEEDER-KIT_W0QQitemZ300219745114QQihZ020QQcategoryZ30917Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the one?

craig green
30-04-08, 03:47 PM
To avoid fluid loss, stretch a freezer bag or similar accross the open M/C reservoir & seal with an elastic band to keep the fluid in.

Adam
30-04-08, 08:19 PM
Yes Nova_Tek thats the one.

Nova_Tek
30-04-08, 08:24 PM
Yes Nova_Tek thats the one.

Thanks Adam :thumb:

nickynova
30-04-08, 08:31 PM
to save alot of hassle put something on the brake pedle before u do anything then wen u undo the brake pipe none of the fluid will pour out it will ATfirst then itl stop. if u get any brake fluid anywhere like paintwork use just normal water on it just pour it on and itl dilute it.

Nova_Tek
30-04-08, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tip

Stuart
30-04-08, 10:14 PM
errrrr sounds like a crap tip if you ask me.... pressureise the system, then undo a union..... yay fluid everywhere :wall:

Mr Greens tip was about the best (aside from using an easybleed lol)

Adam
30-04-08, 10:21 PM
errrrr sounds like a crap tip if you ask me.... pressureise the system, then undo a union..... yay fluid everywhere :wall:

Mr Greens tip was about the best (aside from using an easybleed lol)
Pmsl
Just what i was thinking. Pressing the pedal down will just force fluid out when you undo the line.