PDA

View Full Version : Engine management

dave_bates
27-04-08, 10:35 AM
Hi, I'm going to be running a 1600 8v with 300 degree cam and stage 2 / 3 head (most likely autosprint parts) It will be fully balanced with lightened flywheel and if budget allows a quaife atb.

Anyway, Im obviously going to need engine management and wondered if anybody had any suggestions. ive looked at MBE 967e which is £400 + VAT plus i think i also need there wiring loom 375 + VAT. Or would dasteks unichip be any good? If you have any other ideas they are most welcome.

it will be used for road and odd track day. Hopefully ready for eurofest september

Stuart
27-04-08, 10:44 AM
Basically my rule of thumb/guide for buying an aftermarket ECU, is to find who you want to map it, and get what they like/are familiar with as they can get the best results per £ spent then...

I'd avoid Dasteks Unichip like the plauge till they release a wiring diagram for it and also the software into the public domain. Its a good idea just piss poorly implemented as a method to remove money from punters bank accounts in swathes.

Adam
27-04-08, 12:52 PM
Where abouts are you from?

GoTech is a good system, very cheap, and Jamsport are very good at mapping it, if your in the mids/east mids area.

dave_bates
27-04-08, 03:28 PM
Thanks Adam:thumb:, I'm from Cannock, Staffordshire so yes in the Midlands. Not far from you, I'll have a look into those.

cheers

Mike
27-04-08, 03:50 PM
I know PJ Motorsport in Wednesfield are capable of mapping MegaSquirt, OMEX & DTA.

Mike
27-04-08, 04:17 PM
I'm from Cannock

Laburnam Rd (Sp?) by any chance?

dave_bates
27-04-08, 04:40 PM
Very nearly: Longford Road

Adam
27-04-08, 05:16 PM
Get signed up to the club, and to the monthly meet.
They happen in Cannock :)

Jim
27-04-08, 05:24 PM
I'll second Go-Tech from Jamsport. The guys there will look after you too and will get the car running as well as it can.

Adam
27-04-08, 05:52 PM
Thats what im going with :)

CP
27-04-08, 08:58 PM
Hi, I'm going to be running a 1600 8v with 300 degree cam and stage 2 / 3 head (most likely autosprint parts) It will be fully balanced with lightened flywheel and if budget allows a quaife atb.

Anyway, Im obviously going to need engine management

Why are you going to obviously need engine management? If you fit twin carbs you can get good power without? Just a thought?

dave_bates
27-04-08, 10:24 PM
Why are you going to obviously need engine management? If you fit twin carbs you can get good power without? Just a thought?

I was going for the engine management as I fancied keeping the standard inlet rather than twin 40's, for those extra few miles per gallon.

dave_bates
27-04-08, 10:27 PM
Get signed up to the club, and to the monthly meet.
They happen in Cannock :)
yes I'll to get myself signed up right away

edit: i am now signed up!

_JH_
27-04-08, 11:15 PM
I was going for the engine management as I fancied keeping the standard inlet rather than twin 40's, for those extra few miles per gallon.

Yes, other factors play a part before anyone starts picking holes, but you may find a 300 degree cam combined with the standard inlet will cause you difficulties in a daily driver.

My advice would be to stick around the 275 degree mark - bearing in mind different manufacturers measure in different ways - as the power band is usually broader and therefore better on the road.

If you already have the cam and your hearts set on it, do as CP says and get some carbs.

You may also think about bike throttle bodies, which unlike bike carbs, are still fairly cheap.

Good luck in any case :)

Stuart
28-04-08, 08:26 AM
a Kent AST2 (285deg) is pretty much the "perfect" cam for all nova engines (bar the 1.0 and diesels obv)

The piper BP300 is also a great cam, if a little peaky but thats a good thing too lol.

If you can find someone to map Megasquirt and it fits the cheap budget then I'd gofor that and keep the STD inlet (bin the MAF and maybe fit one from a Z22SE engine as they are "better").

It all totally depends on your budget tbh.

Adam
28-04-08, 09:15 PM
Just run it from the TPS, easy.
No air pulsing issues then