PDA

View Full Version : mirrors

cassanova
31-08-02, 11:51 AM
Does any1 know if its possible and if so, how, to take the backs off the wing mirrors (MK2 SR) so i can put a push-button underneath them for my door popper????

Or, if there are any common (cheap) mirrors off another car that will fit straight on and look half decent??

Ford

Ben (lurk75)
31-08-02, 04:10 PM
cant you take the mirror out and get to the back of the shell that way?

was just chatting to a mate about your other post and he was saying his mate has de handled his car using the mechanisms off a new beetles boot rather than the TVR and was about a quater the price!

cassanova
31-08-02, 06:31 PM
tried taking it off but still no easier to get in there cos really i need to take the back off so i can put the knut on the back of the swtich so it doesnt drop out, mite end up just threadiing a wire thru and trying it that way. As for the door popping, ive got an actuator the same as i used for my tailgate afta flushing it so im hoping that will work ok with a button for the time being then once ive got it sprayed (flatting it off as we speak, well having a rest from flatting it) im guna get a new alarm with an output that will pop the door when it unlocks.......... in theory :?

Ford

ade
01-09-02, 09:26 PM
theres plenty of space behind the mirrors for switches etc...

To get the backs off, 1st you need to pop the mirror off its hinges - the best way to do this is give it a ruddy hard slap with yer hand like its been hit by an oncoming car!. Simply slap it on the edge from the front to the rear and it will pop, then pull it out. Its on retractable hinges on a ball joint.

Then you can push it fwd to see behind the mirror. To get the back off, simply get a screw driver between the cover and the mirror housing ans prise gently. It will pop off.

Alternatively, for easier access (and to run any wqiring) you could take the whole unit off the door - remove inside plastic triangle cover, remove foam disc, remove mirror handle (usually have to unclip a clip from underneath) then take out the 3 screws - you'll need to support it though...

I've got some pics if u want to show how its done.

Ade
:D