PDA

View Full Version : 4 to 5 speed

jimbob-mcgrew
25-04-08, 08:17 AM
my 4 speed is close to death, going to pick up a 5 speed off a member on here, whats involved for the change, is it a case of out with the old, in with the new ? do i need any gaskets or anything.

Will F
25-04-08, 08:57 AM
No gaskets needed, just unbolt the old and bolt in the new.

You will to modify the shifter in the car (under the gaitor) as it has a plastic 'tag' that needs cutting off to get the throw for 5th gear

jimbob-mcgrew
25-04-08, 08:16 PM
cheers for info will, good to know for peace of mind when the time comes.

yeh i heard abit about that tag/tab thing, i took the centre console out and the gearstick gaitor.. couldnt see any metal or plastic tabs in there, is it on the underside of the car.. or an internal bit in the shifter mechanism, or was i in the right place and overlooked it.

AlexW
25-04-08, 08:30 PM
cheers for info will, good to know for peace of mind when the time comes.

yeh i heard abit about that tag/tab thing, i took the centre console out and the gearstick gaitor.. couldnt see any metal or plastic tabs in there, is it on the underside of the car.. or an internal bit in the shifter mechanism, or was i in the right place and overlooked it.

Im sure you looked right at it, move the stick around a bit with the gator out the way and you will see the stop, its on the stick its self, its white or creamy, when the stick is pushed to 4th your see that it hits the side, simply cut it down enough to engauge 5th!

jimbob-mcgrew
26-04-08, 06:30 PM
a mate of mine has a 1400 8v kicking about with a 5 speed on, what are the chances of that box fitting ? i heard from someone a bit back that f13's dont go on 1.2's because of the flywheel size or somet.. i cant remember, this true ? how do i tell if his box is a 10 or 13.
ill have another look for that tab thing when the time comes, even if i cant select 5th.. ppftt, better than driving about with my current shot to bits box.

AlexW
26-04-08, 06:53 PM
not sure about flywheel but the code is on the box somwhere, usualy near the selector.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-04-08, 07:35 PM
update:
ive aquired a 5 speed box off my m8s old 1400 8v - nice one for that shaggy.
its got a huge f10 stamped directly under the gearchange rod & if i can remember rightly W378 on the lower outer edge by the end cover.
i had a look at mine also while i was there, mines stamped f10 the same but i couldnt find any W378 or similar figures, was blank in comparison, does that matter, to me the boxes seem fairly similar in appearance, will this box go straight on my 1.2 ?

Nova_Tek
27-04-08, 07:44 PM
Im sure you looked right at it, move the stick around a bit with the gator out the way and you will see the stop, its on the stick its self, its white or creamy, when the stick is pushed to 4th your see that it hits the side, simply cut it down enough to engauge 5th!

Sorry to hijack but my gearbox on my 1.2 has a 5 speed gear stamping on the casing but I only get 4 gears.

I have heard that some Novas were accidentally fitted with 5 speed boxes. So does it mean I can do the same?

jimbob-mcgrew
28-04-08, 10:28 PM
after an hour an a half of fcuk arsing about, got the box out from under the car, had to call it cos i was loosing light.
cars round a m8s house an hours walk away which was nice :(
as ive not got any replies ill just have to wait and see if it fits.. fcuking best do thas all i can say, done enough work on that piece of sh1t to try and sort this noise/vibration problem out, driveshafts, wheelbearings, now gearbox.. pissing me off royally, cars gonna get sold straight up once this is done.
anyhow, thats that, need to get some gearbox oil on my way over tommora to stick in once its on, if it goes on. sh1t, fcuk, piss & balls.

peace.

jimbob-mcgrew
29-04-08, 02:40 AM
one thing i forgot..
providing it does fit, do i want to use my current clutch release bearing or stick with the one on the box going in.. my one has a slightly curved outer edge where as the other one going in seems to have a more flat front edge to it.. cars are like computers.. when they work, there sound, but when they fcuk up they give u serious hassles, a car even more so cos u rely on it more.. fcuking b4stards.

mikey14sr
29-04-08, 06:31 PM
It'll fit, but I'd use the release bearing that goes with your clutch (off the old box).

Also it's the other way around with which type of box fits, F13's will fit on 1.2's, 1.3's and 1.4's, but an F10 won't fit on a 1.6 as the flywheel is 10mm bigger.

jimbob-mcgrew
29-04-08, 10:08 PM
ive put the box in allready, just on the front mount, with the other release bearing, that mean i gotta pull it all apart again and use my old bearing ? was serious fkin hassles, no crane, jack or helpers.. just me on the floor, dont know if i can be fcuked to do it again.

AlexW
29-04-08, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hijack but my gearbox on my 1.2 has a 5 speed gear stamping on the casing but I only get 4 gears.

I have heard that some Novas were accidentally fitted with 5 speed boxes. So does it mean I can do the same?

have a look at your gear stick, take the gator out the way like i said and see if you see the long white bit

Nova_Tek
30-04-08, 03:59 PM
I had a look and found what you said

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4640/30042008189fp3.jpg

This is what it shows on my gearbox

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8299/30042008190pq3.jpg

AlexW
30-04-08, 04:01 PM
that gearstick looks like its a 5 speed one and the bit on top of the gearbox is like that even on 4 speeds

Nova_Tek
30-04-08, 04:13 PM
Oh right so how would I know if it has fitted the accidental 5 speed or if it really is just a 4 speed?

Man if this is a 5 speed think of the economy lol

jimbob-mcgrew
30-04-08, 08:35 PM
ive been well an truly jacked...

garyc
30-04-08, 09:00 PM
Look at the end of the cluster, if it looks like below it will be a 5 sp. If there is only 1 set of bolts it will be a 4 sp.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garyc/boxcode.jpg

Nova_Tek
30-04-08, 09:08 PM
ive been well an truly jacked...

Sorry dude but it was important :D

Look at the end of the cluster, if it looks like below it will be a 5 sp. If there is only 1 set of bolts it will be a 4 sp.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garyc/boxcode.jpg

Will have a look tomorrow, Cheers bro :thumb:

mikey14sr
01-05-08, 07:59 AM
ive put the box in allready, just on the front mount, with the other release bearing, that mean i gotta pull it all apart again and use my old bearing ? was serious fkin hassles, no crane, jack or helpers.. just me on the floor, dont know if i can be fcuked to do it again.

The other bearing might be ok, just I'd have used the one that's known to work with the clutch that's fitted.

No jack :confused: How'd you get it high enough to slide the box under?

Oh and nova tek, the block of plastic on the right hand side of the gear lever, cut it down about 1/2 an inch/maybe 3cm, that's how you get a four-speed stick to work with a five-speed box ;)

Nova_Tek
01-05-08, 11:39 AM
Right I think we have a definiative answer to the question:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5367/01052008001yb8.jpg

NO

Thanks anyway peeps at least now I know.

Off to wash my hair lol

garyc
01-05-08, 07:04 PM
that is a 4 sp cluster!

jimbob-mcgrew
01-05-08, 09:43 PM
mikey, i had a standard nova jack, which took me up on stands.. but still very low, i had to take the wheels off before i dropped it down.. cos i couldnt get enough height on the jack, had to bust out the tie bar with the lower arm to make space to slide it out, tricky part was gettin it back in by myself with no jack, after sliding the new box back in, i slid a thin mini wheel in after it and managed to lift the box up onto it, then i slid planks of wood one by one under the wheel to raise up the box till it was close enough for me to lift it into the clutch and i just about managed to hold it in place to grab a bolt and go for one of the holes, once it was semi-secure, i had to use my standard jack to push up the box end to get the engine mounts on.. do not do this please people, its seriously dangerous, the jack slipped out from under the box 3 times.. i was lucky i didnt get crushed, anyway, after mega stressing trying to get the box mounts back in whilst gettin pissed on the whole time im working on the car, managed to get them in and hooked everything else up. blagged setting the gears up, didnt have a helper to hold it in neutral, so i took a rough guess, it shifts .... ok... could do with a tweak, 5th goes straight in allready, i thought it was probably that white plastic chunk on the right of the gearstick, but as mine was cut down allready i said i couldnt spot anything. so.. box is switched now, which is good, but it didnt fix the problem ive been trying to remedy for so long.. i guess its one of the other bearings or something.. or the engines fcuked ? i give up, gonna sell the thing soon. cheers for your help guys, even tho tek semi jacked it.