PDA

View Full Version : Big block nova tracking advice

Steve
24-04-08, 12:14 AM
Just posted on mig but thought i'd get a better response here:

I've got a 1.2 model nova with a 2.0 8v fitted and although the car drives in a straight line I think the tracking needs sorting as the inner edges of the tyres are wearing quite badly.

Someone said with the 2.0 engine conversions you should have the tracking changed to gte spec.

Any ideas?

Steve
24-04-08, 01:09 AM
Anyone got any ideas? I'm gonna take it down the garage in the morning and see if its out as I had the same problem with my old nova.

belly257
24-04-08, 01:14 AM
take it to a garage and get the trackin checked if its not out see if any bushes etc are worn:thumb:

loggyboy
24-04-08, 09:54 AM
I dont think their would be much difference for tracking between difference models, theres not even much difference for FWD cars in general.
Generally its adviseable for FWD to have a mild toe out, Sumwhere between 0 and 1 degree)
If your tracking is set to the standard, then its more likely that the excesive wear is being caused by camber. This is common on lowered novas and can be easily adjusted with the addition of ecentric top mounts or suspension with 'slotted' bottom mounts.

craig green
24-04-08, 09:56 AM
I agree. Its likely to be negative camber if the car is very low or a suspension top mount has been re-installed incorrectly after swapping springs/building up the struts.

Ofcourse if the tracking is miles out, that will do it too.

Steve
24-04-08, 01:56 PM
Tracking seems to be ok, doesnt pull one way or the over and its lowered on yellow bilsteins and courtenay springs which really aren't that low at all.

Not sure about the top mounts as a mate did them at his garage so wouldnt have thought he would have done them incorrectly.

craig green
24-04-08, 03:11 PM
To check the top mounts, jack it up so the strut is at full extension, get your head in the arch & using a torch look at the top mount. There is a hole drilled in the spring cup. This should be at the back of the strut top or 180 degrees away from the lower shock to knuckle bolts. If that makes sense?

If its not assembled correctly you will suffer bad tyre wear. I ruined a 16" tyre in a weekend getting that wrong.

Steve
19-05-08, 10:22 PM
Well iam baffled now, cant seem to find these camber adjustment bolts as I was told demon tweaks do them but they dont have them listed.

And iam going to need another front tyre as one is bald on the inner edge. Bloody cars! :mad:

big gra
20-05-08, 12:53 AM
when i did my camber, i drilled new holes in the turret to mount the strut further outwards to reduce the camber. for every 10mm you lower your car you should move the holes 1mm outwards, sorted my tyre wear problem out and the handling is increased by loads.