PDA

View Full Version : sr brakes?

jim sri
30-08-02, 07:25 AM
my sr brakes have always been S*!T, even with tarox grooved and drilled disks and green stuff pads!
i have upgraded to the bigger ATE vented discs and calipers(cav gsi i think) but they still seem to have no bite hardly at all and are prob fairing worse than the tarox+sr calipers! :x
im thinkin of getin a master cylinder repair kit as i think this could be the cause of the probs??or is it the servo?
any help appreciated.

Anonymous
30-08-02, 09:08 AM
Could be either, or could just be air in the system, have had problems on a couple of cars where air has got into the back system and its effected the braking effiecency for the front (cause the air compresses and takes up the pedal movement i guess), my advice would therefore be to totally flush through the brake fluid with new stuff, to make sure all the air is out, plus it only costs a few quid and is worth doign anyway as brake fluid is hydroscopic and degrades over time anyway.

Chip

carltoncrazy
30-08-02, 10:57 AM
dont mean to be rude,
but if hes change the front cpilar(or however u spell it) he will of drian the blake fluid in any case.wuldnt he

Anonymous
30-08-02, 11:29 AM
I dont normally when i do it.
I just seal up the pipes when i take them off the caliper so that tehy dont leak, then you only need to top the fluid up and bleed them, not completely flush the system through.

Chip

carltoncrazy
30-08-02, 12:36 PM
hmm personal id always change fluid but oh well

jim sri
30-08-02, 07:49 PM
i had bled the system when i put the new disks/calipers-pedal felt hard after i did it but after drivin today feels spongy.i have bought big bottle of brake fluid so will bleed at the weekend.
cheers

carltoncrazy
30-08-02, 08:38 PM
change the master,and if that dont help then ya got a leak

Aragorn
31-08-02, 01:01 AM
does the SR have the larger 20cm servo to begin with? if not then adding one would help work those new calipers a bit better

im using the standard servo (18cm) on ATE calipers from an Astra 16v and they are solid but u need to really push the pedal for em to work

but a fluid change and check the system for leaks should cure things

fingers crossed :/

dan16v
31-08-02, 12:25 PM
may also be coz your running the sr servo try getting a gsi one off a nova or astra etc but also did you deffo bleed your brakes correctly?

Stuart
31-08-02, 01:25 PM
all the servo does is make it easier to press the brake pedal, it dosent make the braking force better because thats limited by the master cylinder. get the ate calipers, even if its only the 1.2i ones (same size as the 1.2,1.3sr and 1.4sr) but more efficient etc. and overhaul the master cylinder

brian
31-08-02, 02:32 PM
whats the best master cylinder to fit, or is the GTE/GSi one the best? :?

dan16v
01-09-02, 01:23 PM
yes but by using the astra/cav servo you automaticaly get the better master cylinder aswell, as long as you dont take the servo from the master cylinder that is! ive got one in my garage if n e one wants it! :wink:

jim sri
05-09-02, 06:42 PM
bled it all through, seems ok now but calipers will need new copper seals between caliper and union cos leaking a bit!

Anonymous
06-09-02, 09:17 AM
Gald bleeding it sorted it out, its amazing how much air can get into the system, just goes to show, im the daddy. :lol:

J/K

Glad its sorted now mate, and for fukk sake dont drive it with the copper washer leaking!

Might just be a calse of whipping it off again and cleaning it up, but they are only pennies so get new ones i guess.
Make sure its all as clean as possible though.

Chip

mowgli
06-09-02, 09:26 PM
If you still have the rear drums on, make sure the self adjusters are working, they usually are not. and modern asbestos free linings fitted to drums are crap, they cook and glaze the drums.