PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter

mikeoxford
29-08-02, 11:03 AM
i want to get a fuel filter for my 1400SR, didnt know wether it has got one as standard??

when the weber carb was fitted, i assume they removed the little yellow cannister thing - that was the fuel filter wasnt it??

well i can grab that from a car in a scrappy if its what im after, but really for a fuel filter i want something new

so can anyone point me in the direction...... prices/pic or sites please?

last and most important question

will it hinder performance as it will hold up the petrol flow to the carb??

Anonymous
29-08-02, 11:18 AM
Dont know if it has one as standard im afraid.

wont hinder performance, it will still allow enough fuel through providing its a half decent filter.

Chip

rob.slader
29-08-02, 11:37 AM
You should be able to get a fuel filter from any motor factors. They are very cheap, only a matter of a few quid. Its definatley a good idea to have one, it will stop any crap in your tank reaching the carb and blocking the jets. And you should not notice any loss of performance at all.

Anonymous
29-08-02, 11:44 AM
Cehck the filter is capable of handlign he pressure of a fuel injected motor though, tehy run more fuel pressur than carb cars generally, and some filters for carb motors wont hack it.

Chip

Doc
30-08-02, 09:10 AM
Fuel filter for my old 1.2i used to sit by the drivers side rear wheel under the car near the fuel tank. It was a small metal canister about the size of one of those mini coke cans, had one pipe into it and one pipe out of it (obviously). Cost ?4 brand new and 5 mins to replace. Alternatively you could get an in line filter, you can put that anywhere between the fuel tank and the carb. These cost fcuk all and are minutes to fit, i think ades fitted one to his 1.2. Hope this helps :wink:

Ben (lurk75)
30-08-02, 05:46 PM
yes mine on my GSi was exactly the same and in the same position that doc just described so sounds like there the same no matter what model!

ade
31-08-02, 12:01 AM
yeah - inline filters are ok - I got one on me 1.2 - 99p from motor factors - clear plastic and has a yellow "doyley" inside it - catches tons of sh1te - doesnt affect performance coz its funnel shaped so stores a pool of fuel - the engine just draws what it needs.

I just cut my fuel hose in half and stuck it inbetween in my engine bay - make sure the flows the right way - theres a little arrow to help ya. Havnt cleaned my carb since!

Ade