PDA

View Full Version : XE questions

djshaggeh
21-04-08, 08:27 PM
In the final stages now. Just got a few questions I need clearing up ahead of payday.

Ive got a GTE/GSi fuel tank on the way. What size diameter fuel line do I need? Do I need to change the fuel return too? It was a 1.4 8v carb.

Im not planning on changing the radiator nor the fan unless it runs hot however I'm having problems getting it in - the fan, radiator is fitted. If I take the dizzy/coil pack or whatever it is, off to get the fan in will this affect the timing?

I also need to replace the large 3 way hose that sits below the inlet manifold, wheres the best place to get hold of one? Also where do I get the correct size hoses for the rest of the cooling system?

Cheers in advance :thumb:

paulnova
22-04-08, 12:16 AM
just mark up the dizzy so you can put it back on exactly where it was, i did the silly thing of leaving my rad fan out till the engine was in, was a tight fit but with dizzy out the way it will go in

Will F
22-04-08, 08:32 AM
You can only put the dizzy on in one place, its not adjustabel!?

djshaggeh
22-04-08, 07:00 PM
All done now. Will, well done mate bonus point to you. You were right dizzy is non-adjustable on the XE unlike the 8v........

Its held in with two bolts - one of which I had to replace so good job all in all. I also skimmed off one of the top corners on the fan couling to get it in.

Anyone know if my standard lines are good enough? I was told on MIG they would be, I just want a second opinion.

Lee
22-04-08, 07:11 PM
Standard MPi lines yes. Dont run an injection engine on carb fuel lines! You can leave the return line though.

Will F
22-04-08, 07:19 PM
Standard MPi lines yes. Dont run an injection engine on carb fuel lines! You can leave the return line though.

You actually physically cant (unless you bodge it) as the SPi/Carb lines are too narrow for the XE rubber lines from the fuel rail and they just leak if you try and seal them with a jubilee clip!

Lee
22-04-08, 07:22 PM
You actually physically cant (unless you bodge it) as the SPi/Carb lines are too narrow for the XE rubber lines from the fuel rail and they just leak if you try and seal them with a jubilee clip!

Guess how my blue one was done when i bought it lol

Ste L
22-04-08, 07:24 PM

i used a carb line on my old valver :eek:

but it was a plastic one, which looked identical to mpi one's, when why i just left it, and routed another mpi one for the return

djshaggeh
22-04-08, 07:24 PM
Once again, cheers Lee.

ste porter
23-04-08, 09:30 AM
mines on mpi lines and still on mpi pump which reminds me i realy should change that sometime soon lol

Adam
23-04-08, 05:42 PM
Are carb lines the same thickness etc as spi lines? I expect so.
Mine are fine, and it used to be a spi

djshaggeh
23-04-08, 06:32 PM
I will change mine, not the return though. I work for a motorfactor so I get a good discount, Im sure it wont cost more then a fiver to buy.

What sort of hoses you lot running, odds n sods off the 8v and the 16v combined?

And has anyone got a better coolent diagram other then the one in the mechanical section. Im probobly just retarded, but my radiator doesnt sit on the right of the engine!

Adam
23-04-08, 07:02 PM
Top rad hose is a nova one
Bottom hose is a nova gte/sri/gsi iirc.
Expansion tank ones are nova
Rest are off the xe, you will need put a t-piece in the top expansion hose.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/307258-quick-xe-let-nova-water-hose-question-2.html#post3184144

djshaggeh
24-04-08, 06:09 PM
Right, I ordered a new 3 port jobby from vauxhall (cost nearly £50!)

I can see this coolent malarki giving us a headache but cheers for the link Adam :)