PDA

View Full Version : kangaroo!

Anonymous
31-10-00, 06:30 PM
help please!
my nova is kangaroo hopping when ever i drive it, it ushualy sounds like it is miss fireing when i start it then it hopps whenever part throttle is used until i open the throttle fully then it works ok but when i ease off the throttle it begins to hop again. please somone help ive tryed the timeing but thats spot on and the spark plugs are working ok too.
i beleve it is a problem with the carb (pieurberg 2e3) but what can i do to fix it? ive also put some red ex through the carb to clean it but no effect? thank you in advance for any, and i meen ANY help!

Anonymous
31-10-00, 06:45 PM
Are u sure it's bolted down tight? I'll have a look at mine cuz i've just replaced it with twin choke weber. My weber did that on me cuz I didnt bolt it down tight enough. It would kangaroo unless at full power. As soon as I tightened the bolts up it was ok.

Anonymous
31-10-00, 06:59 PM
right, i have a 2e3 too

from my experiance it could be one of 2 things

the idle mixture is wrong, or the choke isnt working right

now to check this its easy

when its cold and u 1st start it up, rev it up to about 2k and then let it idle again. Open the bonnet and look at the carb. (with air filter off if u aint got a K&N) look at the dome shaped sorta thing on the left of the carb, and to the right of that theres a brass sorta looking thing, if the chokes working right, it should have the bit that pokes out up the top, and you should be able to just push it back(this is the position where the choke is OFF) and when u rev it again it should just pop back up and rise the revs. Simple check. After a run, check the choke bit again, and it should be at the back position, if it isnt, the the choke is on all the time, and the coil thingy is prolly screwed in the dome thingy. Now if its the mixture, that should be easy to fix too. Theres a red looking curved piece of plastic on the left of the car (u can push this down and it makes engine rev) behind that there is a screw hole, its prolly all gunged up, but its there (only one hole on that side of carb) Now, as far as i know from fiddling with mine, screwing it out makes it richer, and screwing it in makes it leaner. If its kangarooing it might be too lean, so you could try unscreing it about a turn, or more or less if nessassary. Basically its all trial and error. Keep doing that until it runs perfect (will take a while) Remember, once you have that done, youll have to reset the idle speed. To do this is easy. Where the cable goes into the carb from the accel(where the tube for it ends on a metal plate) theres a hole in the plate. though that hole is a long screw that sticks out. Play with that to get it right. Out is slower idle, in is higher. Its all trial and error.

Anonymous
01-11-00, 08:12 AM
Check rotor arm, Check for cracked distributer cap letting moisture in, Check HT leads aren,t tracking to earth by looking under the bonnet in the dark, you will see any sparks escaping. Spray whole lot in WD40. If you havn't replaced these bits for a while they may need replacing anyway. Hope this helps from my experience these are the most likely causes.

Anonymous
02-11-00, 10:34 AM
just an idea, but mine kinda vibrates loads, when i use normal revs to start off you may have oil on your clutch
im no expert but mine dose it from time to time.