PDA

View Full Version : make the 1.2 quicker!?

jon_boy
28-08-02, 10:08 PM
can anyone tell me a few of the cheaper options for making my little 1.2 a bit quicker. its only a first car and i doubt i'll keep it for more than a year. at least not with this engine. so any cheap mods would be good. anything i can get off of any scrapped nova's like GTE's etc that i can put on my engine? cheers for any help, jon

Aragorn
28-08-02, 10:34 PM
well that all depends on the model

for example if its a 1.2i (mk2) then switching it back to carbs should give u a little boost (injection is 45bhp carbs is 55bhp)

your best bet would be to look for a head, inlet and carb assembly from a older carbed 1.2 OR a larger engined model like a 1.3SR

BUT i wouldnt go spending bucketloads of cash on it remembering you could prolly buy an entire 1.4 or maybe even a 1.6i for ?100 and im not sure what a scrapyard would charge for a head, inlet and carb

u could remove the hot air pipe from the airbox with will let more air in giving more power (a bit like a k&n) tho if its carbs it may need adjusted for the new airflow and carbs can also ice up in cold weather without the hot air inlet
an alternative (carb only) would be to get a k&n bolt on and rig up some kinda pipe between the hotair thing and the filter so there is still some hot air being fed into the carb

if its already on carbs and u want more power :/ u could try some optimax fuel and get the carb and timing adjusted for the higher octane fuel (tho if u do this its a bad idea to switch back to standard unleaded and the engine will prolly run shite on it too)

also a good tune up might help things

ignition system serviced (plugs leads dizzy rotor etc) and oil change as well as a coolant change might bring some life back into it

after that your gonna start talkin semi-serious cash or insurance premium upgrades so either do those mods as above then save for a new engine or a new car after u have your 1years ncb or go ahead now and upgrade the engine etc and pay the premium - its really upto yourself

Aragorn
28-08-02, 10:37 PM
ohh not too sure opn this one hopefully someone else can confirm but u might find getting a camshaft from a SR or GTE might help add some power

if u got everything from the head up from a 1.3SR like i suggested above as an upgrade to the injection engine then u'd already have the cam, otherwise u wont :)

Stuart
28-08-02, 11:10 PM
push it off a cliff!

carltoncrazy
28-08-02, 11:30 PM
tow it behind a faster car.lol

ade
29-08-02, 12:54 AM
My 1,2's dead nippy!

I got K&N bolt on filter to fit to my 1.2 carb (halfords ?60), back box (2nd hand stainless ?60 novaload), lowered 60mm gmax full kit (?200) and new 15" mim alloys n rubber (?100 2nd hand!).

With car lowered increasing centre of gravity and phat wheels, car holds road better and is more aerodynamic (!) - K&N improves air flow, back box sounds sweet and helps with gasses. Cars dead nippy off lights and I can get 105+ out of her no probs!

You could get better zorst manifold though I was reliably informed the 1.2 down pipes are pretty good as they are (taking into account engine size!)

With above mods, I can upgrade car to bigger engine and still benefit!

Ade

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 10:02 AM
105 fcuk me ade,that musta been almost fallin apart.
105 jesus.
sorry thats amazed me i fink imgonna faint

MC
29-08-02, 11:22 AM
Constructive comments please lads, especially Hayzsr, you have been warned before and you will be banned. People want genuine advice, not snide comments.

As mentioned before, fit the carb and manifold of the 1.3 SR, it will fit straight on. GTE cam will go straight in, and fit the manifold and zorst from a GTE too.

If you are single point injection, your best bet is to source a 1.2 carb head, and bolt the 1.3 SR manifold and carb to that. Fitting the 1.3 head to the 1.2 bottom head will work, but will drop compression a little.

People will say why do that to a 1.2 when a 1.4 is cheaper, the same could be said for someone that mods a 1.4 instead of fitting a 1.6, but when I had a seriously quick 1.4 I got a lot more respect from conquests than when I had the 1.6, and I had a greater sense of achievement too. You could blend into the crowd of 1.4 owners, or you could stand out as having one of the quicker 1.2's I know which I'd choose.

MC

pugpower
29-08-02, 03:28 PM
errrrr, my mates 1.2i that only holds a big b, and a green pancake style airfilter can get around 110-20tops...

on the otherhand you could try dropping a 2 litre lump in it.. but if it's a first car that's a no no.... :/

MC
29-08-02, 03:56 PM
DOn't forget the legendary Nova speedo's.

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 04:18 PM
soz admin online have a sense of humor,he didnt take it to heart no harm done

ade
29-08-02, 09:02 PM
Hayzsr - I'm gutted and deeply hurt! :cry: lol! :lol:

105 - thats wot I got - was going down hill mind - and it is "possible" the dials are out - however I actually moved the needle back a little when I refitted new dials coz of my bigger wheels! So fcuk knows what I was doing!

Last time I do it though - cars been running a little rough since - think the idle is a little low. My 2nd mot revealed etremely low emmisions - like lower than a snakes belly! think I'm running a little lean?

Ade

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 10:14 PM
no ade its aimed at the towing comment,
i aint impressed,
by the way MC CP has a PM for u coz i cant be assed to send it again

Ben (lurk75)
29-08-02, 11:13 PM
this 1.2 i am banging around in will touch just over a ton! wich is a bit disapointing as it does near on 70 in second! (not that i rant it much) the more i do the more it seems to be opening up :lol:
Ah sod the GSi i am gonna keep my 1.2 Club with BB4 and go faster stripes!

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 11:16 PM
now that will be screamin and falling apart at that speed,
i do feel sorry for the nova u 2 drive,poor sod probley had one elderly ladie owner b4.lol

Ben (lurk75)
29-08-02, 11:20 PM
No this was a real rudeboys car before i bought it! he wanted ?150 for it and nearly cried when he was offered ?80 (we split the difference on ?100) see post GSI vs Club in general for full spec its DAMN impressive lmao.

I think the reason he drove it slow was he couldnt handle the ear bleeding sound from the baked bean can!

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 11:23 PM
gsi.....1.2....................................... ..oooooooooooooooook as long as ur happy.
lurk sorry jus to reasure myself u do still understand the word"preformance" dont u.
tow it beihnd the gsi.hehehehhehehehehe

Ben (lurk75)
29-08-02, 11:29 PM
the only thing being towed is the GSi!

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 11:38 PM
i no how we can distroy it
let me jump it with the range rover(do this with burnt out recks,well use 2)
serious jumpign is wickid.
go on please,i could put certain 2 letts on the roof so i could have my revange without him noing hehehehheheh

ade
30-08-02, 12:59 PM
my car was prev owned by a dope head! female owner - serious hash habit judging by the amount of rock burns over the seats! Think she pissed herself n it once too coz there was a manky yellow stain on the drivers seat! I got the garage to clean it before I bought it!

:x

carltoncrazy
30-08-02, 01:20 PM
ade we really didnt wanna no that

Ben (lurk75)
30-08-02, 05:38 PM
I did thanx for letting me know Ade

jon_boy
30-08-02, 06:12 PM
cheers for that lads. one day my nova will hit 105! lol, and my cars full of rock burns too. and a hazy blue smoke........... :o

ade
30-08-02, 11:57 PM
to quote the infamous Cypress Hill -

hits from the nova bong...

stick a big tube in yer sun roof and puff all night long

hits from the nova bong

(sorry)

:lol: