PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v turbos

blackpoolbouncer
19-04-08, 03:59 PM
hi,had a search and not really found what im looking for,im after pics and any info including specs,gains, cost and reliabilty issues of runing a gsi on turbo.
am looking at going down something like a T2 on custom manifold but was thinking of running standard throttle body and have the ECU remaped down at MSD near me.
just looking at personal experiences from users who have ACTUALLY DONE THIS not from keyboard warriors suggesting oother options like bike carbs because ive already been down this route and dont particularly want the hastle after the last time i did it. am only looking at running relatively low boost ie 6 or 7 psi at most because i dont really want to be blowing up my gsi engine due to it not being tired and worn and it only covering 35k miles.
possibly worth picking up another engine to use and ultimately blow up?

Mike
19-04-08, 04:36 PM
I am in the process of building a 1600T engine, and have been for the last few months. I cant really comment on reliability issues but there are other users on here that can, so they'll reply accordingly.

Firstly, T2 is a good turbo to use, due to its compact size, ease of obtaining servicing parts, and there easy to get hold of. From R5 GTT's, Fiesta RST and even Pug 306 TD's ;)

You cant map the ECU. The Seimens ECU is a sealed unit and cant even be chipped by superchips, you can only chip/alter Bosch ECU's (Cost £300 in vat) if you do decide to chip it, do it once the turbo system is actually running. Standard management cant be mapped, but aftermarket spark/squirt systems can.

As for boost, a safe level of 10PSi is easily attainble from a stock T2. Aim for a 9.5:1 CR, else things will go kapoowie.

Ferriday engineering can supply spacer plates to lower the compression down to any desired level for GTE/GSi engines.

Turbo manifold, heres the tricky part. Unless you know where to look, you wont find one. You'll end up having a bespoke one made. Or do what ive done and use an altered GM cast manifold. My manifold owes me £90 give or take :D

Change your stock FPR to a 3.0 bar item found on some XE's. Get a GENUINE SARD inline FPR to. Make sure any aftermarket fuel pressure regulator is BOOST COMPATIBLE.

You connect a small diameter boost hose to the FPR, and for every 1 PSi the turbo increases, it'll increase your fuel pressure by 1PSi. Thus eliminating fuel issues.

Some say the above is a "bodge". However, my view is, if its a bodge, why were boost compatible FPR's invented.

EDIT: Cost wise, well it depends on how far you want to go with it. I started with a mint condition engine, but rebuilt it anyway, had a load of head work done, rebuilt the gearbox an added a ligthened fly, stripped/cleaned & rebuilt the entire inlet tract, another exhaust system, assorted silicone hoses (yet to buy boost hoses) injectors re-jetted, bespoke manifold, got 2 turbo's & rebuilt one, assorted gauges will be needed etc as will an intercooler & piping etc etc. Ive gone as far as an intercooler water spray kit (as per Impreza 22B's etc) im now looking towards either water injection or a charge cooler, and to top it off a 75bhp+ nitrous oxide kit for a garanteed 200bhp+ on gas.

Cost will vary substainally TBH. As you can literally tailer make your engine to what you want to get out of it. I aiming for max bhp, regardless of relaibility issues. I know full well mine will explode but i dont care if it does, as 1.6 engines are ten a penny.

You need to tell us what you want back from what you plan to do. A safe 150bhp+/- @ 10psi? Or an unsafe 200bhp+ at 15+ PSi on gas?

Mike.

blackpoolbouncer
20-04-08, 01:10 PM
thanks for that info mike,much appreciated. i know what a ball ache it can be turboing a non turbo car i did it on my 106 a year or two ago with very good results,if a bit crude.
will be leaving the internals standard,maybe SOME ARP bolts to stop things flying apart. however with saving up for a cossie as a second car i dont want to be spending an aboslute fortune(i did my 106 for less than £100 but it was very much beg borrow and scrounge for the bits and i do all the work myself)
right,thats some food for thought then,looks like i need to make some phone calls
dont suppose anyone wants a garret variable vane VNT28 turbo do they,ive got two of them lying around now that are going to be going towards funding this lol

Stuart
20-04-08, 01:28 PM
bear in mind those VNT turbos are only for use on diesel engines.... they will melt/die very very very quickly if used on a petrol engine due to the exhaust gas being way hotter than the diesel equivalent.

unless somehow youve managed to blag two porsche cayenne turbos lmao

blackpoolbouncer
20-04-08, 05:48 PM
hahah no such luck,the VNT turbos will be going up for sale due to me not using them on an old project of mine,i have no intention of using them on this.theyve come of a merc E320 turbo diesel if i remember rightly,bring good money on ebay so gonna get em wacked on there as some form of finance for my new little project and they should pay for a nice T2 or similar or i might have a rummage round my workshop,im sure ive got an old t2 of a 306 somewhere.
intercooler is already sorted courtesy of a very generous customer not wanting his old one when i fitted a nice new one to his 200sx :D

craig green
21-04-08, 10:05 AM
I believe MSD can remap ANY ECU. You will probably need some form of higher flowing injectors, though XE creams dont run with the E16SE ECU.

Anything from 6 to 10psi will be a hoot on the 1600. Mine was running upto 10psi at its peak.

So long as its set up properly & fuelling OK, you should be fine. Assuming you have the common sense not to hold it flat out at 125mph for hours on end etc.

blackpoolbouncer
21-04-08, 10:29 PM
craig,do you reccomend a suitable injector,preferably ones that could be sourced from a breakers yard?

craig green
22-04-08, 01:37 PM
No not really, mine ran on the std spec 1.6SE injectors. I think the ones from a 2.0 SEH will run.
At the boost pressures you mentioned, some cleaned & checked standard ones ought to be fine.

ELLIS GSI
23-04-08, 10:31 PM
where do you put the mass air flow? before or after the turbo?

big dee
23-04-08, 11:46 PM
if you visit the forum at jon44w.co.uk look in the parts for sale section "breaking corsa turbo" by user nova_130bhp there is everything there you need including sump with oil return

Stuart
24-04-08, 08:33 AM
MAF would go pre turbo.

craig green
24-04-08, 09:38 AM
Though I've actually seen a Nova GSi turbo with the AFM after the intercooler/before the TB. Owner said it ran fine.

So thats the AFM running under boost.

Stuart
24-04-08, 12:34 PM
ok I've managed to confuse myself.... off to VS for the answer lol