PDA

View Full Version : help please!!!

twistysnovagte
18-04-08, 04:46 PM
could any of you guys explain my problem!the problem being, ill decribe this best i can.when the car is started from cold, most of the time its warmed until the choke goes off. but sometimes when i set off when cold and stil on choke i get a noise coming from the engine which sounds like a clicking noise,(ive been under the bonet when cold and can hear the injectors making a cliking noise which ive been told isnt a problem!!!but theres also another noise?), which speeds up and down with the revs?once the cars warmed and been running for ten minuates say,the noise seems to vanish. its a louder noise than the injectors which you cant hear on the outside(only with bonnet up)but this other clicking noise can be heard out side when travelling.:confused:
this may sound daft, but its similar to the noise when you used to put pop cartons in your back wheel on your bike when young.
anyone else have this problem or better still help me out before i take it the garage
cheers lads

twistysnovagte
18-04-08, 08:15 PM
anyone please, im scared of getting into it in case summat goes bang(if it does then shes a gonna i think)as i just wouldnt have the time to sort it, but if the problem can be solved now before anything happens.it might be nothing or it could be serious? then this would be a great and much apprieciated help:thumb:

just vaux trev
18-04-08, 10:14 PM
think along the lines of pop carton and check that there is nothing hitting the alternator or fan or any drive belts ect ect

twistysnovagte
19-04-08, 04:41 PM
ive now explained this situation to a local garage,and there saying its more than likely that the crank bearings could be on there last toes, im i being fed b0llocks for him to make a few quid, or could he be actualy telling the truth?
is this a big job ifso and what would it cost to put right?

andy

twistysnovagte
21-04-08, 07:31 PM
ive now heard from a few places that the crank bearings are duff, and would of effected the crank, ie i would need to have the crank reground new shells bearings etc!!!what is this gonna cost me lads???
but i have no loss of power is this normal?

Ash
21-04-08, 07:39 PM
can hear the injectors making a cliking noise

what engine? As I don't believe the 1.0 came with injection ;)

twistysnovagte
21-04-08, 07:43 PM
what engine? As I don't believe the 1.0 came with injection ;)the engine is the e16se gte as in my avater;) whats this kinda work gonna cost???

Rich
21-04-08, 08:13 PM
Probably cheaper to buy another block than get the crank out re-ground etc..

Does it sound like its coming from the bottom of the engine or the top? Check the oil level is topped up can cause ticking/tapping

Ash
21-04-08, 08:22 PM
the engine is the e16se gte as in my avater;) whats this kinda work gonna cost???

lol sorry mate, for some strange reason I thought it was a 1.0 GTE looker - maybe thats someone else....

I rebuild my bottom end (e16SE) for about £150, but that included all new bolts, lightened flywheel and all the gaskets. All parts were GM bar the shells which were uprated heavy duty jobs.

Will try and find the exact cost for you. You CAN get it done alot cheaper ;)

twistysnovagte
23-04-08, 06:14 PM
Probably cheaper to buy another block than get the crank out re-ground etc..

Does it sound like its coming from the bottom of the engine or the top? Check the oil level is topped up can cause ticking/tappingits defo coming from the bottom end,ive now been told that there is some kind of filter at the bottom of the dip stick that could be blocked therefore blocking oil(when cold!!) to the bottom end:confused: never heard this before?

Welsh Dan
23-04-08, 06:34 PM
Is your oil clear or black?

twistysnovagte
23-04-08, 07:14 PM
Is your oil clear or black?the oil is relitivly new and clean(clear)im just hoping this is something simple before i go out buying a new block(which i probaly cant afford,DAD can i have a sub):( it would probaly be taken off the road, ill be honest with you all as thats me, i do give the car a bit of stick now and again. but most of the time its drove sensibly.

Mike
23-04-08, 07:45 PM
its defo coming from the bottom end,ive now been told that there is some kind of filter at the bottom of the dip stick that could be blocked therefore blocking oil(when cold!!) to the bottom end:confused: never heard this before?

In the sump is the oil pick up. Heres one i found earlier -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/TWOC%20Rebuild/120.jpg

In the domed section there is a metal gauze filter thingy. If its blocked (possibility) result is oil starvation etc

GTE999
24-04-08, 12:53 AM
pm'd you mate.

craig

twistysnovagte
24-04-08, 06:35 PM
In the sump is the oil pick up. Heres one i found earlier -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/TWOC%20Rebuild/120.jpg

In the domed section there is a metal gauze filter thingy. If its blocked (possibility) result is oil starvation etccheers for that mike, are you saying i can get to this via the oil sump off?would i then be able to see if theres any damage to any of the compenents etc(would then be able to see the crank as i could get my cousin to have a look)? if so does the sump nuts have to be torqued back in?

andy

Welsh Dan
24-04-08, 07:25 PM
Yes you can get to that by taking the sump off. You'd not be able to see the crank bearing surfaces without dismantling them. The sump bolts do need torqueing up.

twistysnovagte
24-04-08, 07:52 PM
cheers for that dan

dan23
24-04-08, 08:25 PM
you can buy a tool that looks like a steffo scope from most car spare shops only a few quid should help you

jimbob-mcgrew
25-04-08, 06:45 AM
seems wierd for them to say at the garage it was your crank if the noise goes after 10 mins of running, providing youve got enuff oil in there the crank should be swimming in the stuff, only thing i can think of is heat expansion on the bearings causing them to tighten after those ten minutes, i'd deffo try what mike suggested tho, those gauze filters in the pickup pipe can get proper gunked up with sludge and starve oil to the topside of the engine, usually get the rattly tappets noise in that scenario. as far as the clicking injectors go i cant shed any light im afraid, i wouldnt have thought they normally clicked in operation, but i dunno squat about injection really, if matey at the garage says thats normal.. should be ok i guess, hope u get it sorted out, gte's are gettin rare now, gotta keep that one of yours going :D

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/Oil_Change_Oil_pipe.JPG

^ slightly better shot of the gauze filter so u know what were on about