PDA

View Full Version : Project Custard is being Scrapped (literally)

simon@novaheaven
27-08-02, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone i posted a few pics of my car a few weeks back.

Well the project was finished and i was happy with it till it went for the mot.

I drove it to the mot station only to be told its shite. Basically the inner wings had been fitted poorly and filled over and sprayed and the sills were spot welded on then filled over and undersealed on top. These were the two major bodged jobs done to the shell. There were more but it results in alot of welding that im not prepared to have done.

The last owner was basically ripped off by the company who did the bodywork who basically cut lots of corners

Heres a pic the morning of the mot (i fitted a plate to it)

http://www.cruisenorthwales.com/pic/sy.jpg

Ive basically got two choices, reshell (get a shell sprayed up to match the old one) it again or scrap the lot (but sell the parts)

Im well gutteted im blame jkhilton (only kidding) there his wheels and his bad luck with cars has somehow made its way to my car. Bugger. lol

Ill let you know how it goes!!!

Simon

jkhilton
27-08-02, 05:33 PM
That's it, final proof that I should never ever own another car!! or any car parts for that matter!!!!

I'm gutted for you mate, believe me when I say I know how you feel!!!

Is there nothing that can be done?

Does noone on here have any access to welding gear and can help out? or is it just too much work?

fingers crossed that it works out for you!

btw, I have a K&N 57i for sale for a 2.0 16v engine, anyone else want some bad luck with their car??????? lmao! :roll:

djp_y2k
27-08-02, 06:17 PM
christ man. Thats got to be some of the worst news to hear. Is there no one you know who can weld or teach you so you can do it yourself.

It would be a shame to scrap such a cool car.

Rick Draper
27-08-02, 06:22 PM
Gutted m8 it was coming along very nicely. Bloody Hilton and his curses :evil: ! lmfmo Rick

Fester
27-08-02, 06:57 PM
thats fucking harsh man, where did u get the car originally?

carltoncrazy
27-08-02, 06:58 PM
well if its a Sr then il have some bits n bobs off ya,
its sods law tho mate init.ive gota do my lasses boot some time.
shame it does look nice

simon@novaheaven
27-08-02, 07:24 PM
i was told at the garage it could be welded but they wouldnt take on such a mamouth task of doin it. it would leave the engine bay with nasty looking welds in it. It just put a downer on it as id done every single bit on the car myself thinkin id bought i nice shell to work all the bits into. I may take it somewhere else to be welded. Whats the name of the garage who did yours John??? :o :?

Ive not got anymore time or money to throw at this car now. Ive been in the work pit with the mot fella and he showed me all the some of the points that had been packed with filler. there is quiet a bit under the car behind the spot welded sills. Also the rear of the suspension turretsnear the battery tray and the other side are well shaped filler. The car was fully rebuilt in 99 and had 2500 spent on the shell inc spraying.

Ive found another shell now but im very wary of buying it incase i get my fingers burned again.

Ive found a nice lookin red one for free (well swap for my new cat one alarm, which his shell already has one fitted) It red though and i want it yellow so id have to strip and prep the car myself to cut costs.

Im on the hunt for a 1600 16v now for my re rebuild if i go ahead with another one.

Cheers for the sympathy, im gonna burn those wheels at the steak now John. Whats happenin on your car front by the way

ade
27-08-02, 09:28 PM
thats soul destroying! I know how much it hurst when you mod a car and sh1t turns out bad - my rebuild failed its mot coz of welding but I managed to get that sorted - only cost ?30.

Whats up with the inner wings - is it the actual edge of the engine bay thats gone?

Respraying it yerself aint as hard as it sounds - 2 pak although nasty is ok if you suit up (not that expensive to respray either) and yellow is a fairly forgiving colour as far as orange peel. I chose red - probably the hardest colour coz if you fu ck it up you get 100 diff shades of pink - as I found out the 1st time!

If you want any help with respray or prep work give me a shout. Get yerself a double garage and some 5m x 4m tarp from B&Q (?4.99) build a spray booth and get that other shell and just transplant everything over!

To check the new shell, get a ppwereful magnet and use it everywhere - even get the wings off!

DONT GIVE UP - YOU WILL REBUILD IT!

Ade
:wink: