PDA

View Full Version : NCD does it expire?

dave.gsi
16-04-08, 07:50 PM
last time i insured a car (my clio 16V) i had 4 years NCD.

i sold it halfway through the policy so cancelled it.

a few months later they sent me a bill for about £300/400 (the rest of the years policy). after arguing the toss with them for months about how i don't owe them any money because i'd cancelled the policy, they were having none of it and insisted i pay up or they'd take me to court.

there was no way i was paying it and at the time i was moving house. thats the last i even thought about it. i moved house and forgot about it.

since then the only transport ive had is my works van. all the insurance is done through the work office so i didn't need to provide any evidence of NCD etc.

Now i'm looking at getting another car (privately) and i'm thinking its been a couple of years since i've had to provide details of my NCD.

first question is does your NCD run out after a couple of years?

and also, how do i prove to my new insurers that i have NCD, because i can't contact my old ones for proof because at best they'll want their £3/400 and at worst they'll be all sorts of other charges added on top :tard:

am i best off just starting from scratch with no NCD?

General Baxter
16-04-08, 08:08 PM
iirc its 2 years

Adam
16-04-08, 08:10 PM
It depends on the company.
Some are 6months.

Jeff16v
16-04-08, 08:10 PM
2 years

Jack
17-04-08, 09:07 AM
Most are two years, and as proof you need a renewal letter saying "you have x years NCB", or a letter from the insurer confirming it. Some insurance companies used to just ask who your previous insurer was and they'd do the legwork and find out from them for you, but that seems rare these days.

wisewood
17-04-08, 01:55 PM
Two years is what i was told after i didnt have a car for a while as i only worked up the road and we only needed one car between us... i argued the point though that i had been on my wifes policy with the same company during that time so they should continue the NCD through that period and eventually they gave in and let me have my way.

Will
11-06-08, 01:10 PM
some are 1 year

most are 2 year

norwich union is 3 years (only one i found over 2 years)

hope that helps you :)