PDA

View Full Version : Camber/Castor set up with eccentric top mounts

chimp007_uk
16-04-08, 07:09 PM
Evenign Nova Chums,

I'm heading back home tomorrow, going to pick up my new cesaros's :D and fit the eccentric top mounts... Anyone got any hints and tips of setting them up? and are they literally a direct swap for the standard top mounts?

Also... Waht settings are epople running on Spax RSX cpilovers on valvers??

Cheers :thumb:

Chris

imnobby
16-04-08, 11:04 PM
the top mounts are straight swap too me about hour to do both sides make sure you put lots of grease int he swivle joint in th mount as i have heard they can get bit stiff if not looked after, setting them up is a bit of a pain in the ass as you wont know what feels best untill you try them out so my guess is try half way and see what it feels like but there is a exact way of setting them up but unfortunatly its beyond my knowledge, and the settings on the coilovers, AS LOW AS POSSIBLE WITH ROCK HARD DAMPERS

trackdaynova
16-04-08, 11:08 PM
I run eccentric top mounts along with Spax RSX coilovers, and an XE - and I run them @ 11 and 1 o'clock

So from the front of the car, the drivers mount wants to be pointing towards 1 o'clock, and the passenger side wants to be 11 o'clock.

This gives you roughly very slight positive castor, and about 1-2degrees negative camber.

Check my WIP thread, and look at recent engine bay pics for more accurate photos of the mounts as they sit in the bay

Hope this helps

Olly.

chimp007_uk
17-04-08, 06:47 AM
Cheers guys! I was goign to go with trial and error lol but thought i'd ask... even thought about measurign up the geometry and putting all that into Mitchell to see what the effects were but that was way too keen!!

craig green
17-04-08, 12:55 PM
Only issue with trial & error is, it doesnt take long to ruin a pair of fr tyres if its VERY wrong. Though my guess is you will see 'by eye' if the camber is very bad.
The tracking will alter aswell.

tom_beverley
17-04-08, 01:21 PM
Is there a laser wheel alignment centre local to you?

That way if they aint busy and you ask nicely, they might be prepared to let you have a play and set it up reasonably accurately. Thats what I did when I bought my camber bolts, just set it roughly using above info for a few miles therefore minimising excessive tyre wear.

Only issue then is finding recommended toe, castor and camber settings for your application.

burgo
17-04-08, 01:26 PM
im sure camber, caster and toe setting for tarmac are in the build manual??

craig green
17-04-08, 02:02 PM
True. Approved tarmac settings are common knowledge.

adam c
17-04-08, 02:07 PM
im sure camber, caster and toe setting for tarmac are in the build manual??
this is taken from the build manual:

EURO TARMAC
TRACKING:2mm toe out
CASTOR:4 degrees +ve.
CAMBER:2 degrees -ve.

Jim
17-04-08, 02:46 PM
I've found that going by the build manual or what someone suggests may not necessarily be whats best for you. Use them as a starting point, but you might find they don't suit your driving style.

chimp007_uk
17-04-08, 03:21 PM
Don't really have access to laser alignment... i know a place that will do it all for me, but thats have the fun and £80 :(

I don't want silly amounts of camber, just a tad more. castor is more of a greay area for me, and i guess alot down to personal preference.

trackdaynova
17-04-08, 11:46 PM
2 degrees negative camber
4 degrees positive castor
2 mm toe out

Should you not have a build manual handy :)

The Simps
17-04-08, 11:56 PM
I run eccentric top mounts along with Spax RSX coilovers, and an XE - and I run them @ 11 and 1 o'clock

So from the front of the car, the drivers mount wants to be pointing towards 1 o'clock, and the passenger side wants to be 11 o'clock.

I've got mine like this. Inwards and backwards basically. You'll find you'll probably have to "tease" out the lip on the turret to get some sort of adjustment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Nova%20LET%20Build/P8070008.jpg

trackdaynova
18-04-08, 12:04 AM
exactly the same mate, thats what i called 11o'clock, however mine are a little more dramatic.

i run mine upside down to get maximum castor, and to prevent having them machined down, and trimming the turrets

Lee H
18-04-08, 08:05 AM
I have mine the other way to that but still at the back, say 1 o'clock. Works out at 1 degree camber ish and saves the tyres a bit!!

tom_beverley
18-04-08, 09:35 AM
I had my camber set to 1mm -ve camber to save tyres too!! Seemed better on the road with more grip.

Chimp, near me the laser tracking is £30, about 15-20 mins is all you need to set it up spot on. £80 is waaay steep!!

I've got some eccy mounts now but haven't offered them up yet to see what adjustment I can get away with.

chimp007_uk
18-04-08, 10:56 AM
Basic tracking round here is £40.... :(

I'm not sure whether to dabble with it now, as i might be on track tomorrow. I was going to attempt to weld the cage in today, but dont know if i'll get time, need to strip my gte still... Would they let me run it with it not bolted in? ( i know its not safe... but i ran out of time the other week, and really dont want the hassle of removing the front seats and jimming it out).

Jim
18-04-08, 10:59 AM
If you're on track tomorrow have a tinker with it yourself. See what works best for you.

chimp007_uk
18-04-08, 11:32 AM
I "might" be... I've only been home a few hours and already I'm getting it in the ear from my mum about stripping my gte and scrapping it now, so might go work on that for a bit and keep her happy... It'll only be a 15min session tommorrow, so can't really try anything... and don;t want to set it badly and then not enjoy it. A toughy...