PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

Breeny
27-08-02, 02:04 PM
After long journeys my car will occassionaly refuse to start. It won't even turn over, however all the electrical things will still work.

Ive been told by a friend that it might be the alternator not charging the battery when the engine is hot.. What could cause this?

Any other ideas?

Anonymous
27-08-02, 02:14 PM
When you say it wont start when its hot, do you eman it wont start at all, and then when its cooled down it does, or it wont start and thats it, it wont when it cools down either?

If its not starting after its cooled down then its as simple as teh battery isnt charged, which is likekly to be either
loose fanbelt
knackered alternator
fukked battery

If when it cools down it then starts, id look at swapping the starter motor.
You can get a batter/alternator check done at most garages BTW

Chip

neiloakley
27-08-02, 02:31 PM
when you say it wont start, do you mean it will turn over but not fire, or just turn the key and NOTHING happens?

More info please

Breeny
27-08-02, 05:39 PM
When i say nothing i mean nothing, it doesnt even turn over... To be honest Chip ive never let it cool down... just bumped started it and then it runs fine?

If i remember right though it wouldnt be the heat... it did it down sutton once... it was left for a good hour or so.

The alternator and battery have been replaced recently, I spose i'll get a new starter motor next, see if this solves the problem.