PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Gearbox and new fly

beavy69
14-04-08, 10:21 PM
Having sorted my DCOEs im now turning my attention to my gearbox. I have and F10 on 1.3L.

Im thinking innards from an F13 CR with a 4:18 FD and a lightened billet fly.

Questions:

1) Would I be able to use the lightened fly that Chris Astley sells for the X16XE/C16XE or are they F15? If so does anyone know a good fly for F10/13?

2) Whats the difference between the F10 and F13 housings. IIRC i need to transfer everything into my F10 housing????

(Thanks for the FD swap guide Stuart I'll be using that in conjunction with the Hayse as im a picture person :thumb: )

thanks,

7im.

Ash
14-04-08, 11:07 PM
F10 and F13 cases look identical, but I believe one takes 100Nm (?) torque and the other 130Nm (?)

I've just done the swap myself, F13CR with 4.18FD and the longer 5th from the F10. I do have photos which I keep meaning to do a write up for to go along side stu's wordy wordy.

PS. Please remember to change the pinion gear as well as the FD ;)

Stuart
15-04-08, 08:23 AM
Ash, (not wishing to offend here) How does a different casing but EXACTLY the same internals mean a gearbox can take 30NM more torque? ;)

I know the numbers are supposed to represent what sustained torque the boxes can take but to be honest its a load of balls.

I'd just fit the F13 case, cluster and 4.18 FD in one hit... atleast in future if you ever want to fit a 1600 then you havent got to rebody your gearbox (never say never).

brucer
15-04-08, 03:46 PM
how much top speed do you lose with the 4.18 FD in a f13CR box?

want to do this next on the gte, but i got absolutely smoked by a cooper s with a higher top speed.grr the bxxtard

Adam
15-04-08, 03:48 PM
On what rev limit/\ ?
Standard?

Beavy-If you get a c/x16xe lightened fly, check what type it is.... As a lightened POT type(which c16xe has as std) would weigh about the same as a standard £10 GTE flat fly.....

Ash
15-04-08, 06:01 PM
Ash, (not wishing to offend here) How does a different casing but EXACTLY the same internals mean a gearbox can take 30NM more torque? ;)

lol not a clue, I just knew thats what the numbers meant. Was hoping someone else could shed some light on it :)

Or though, couldn't the value based on the strength of the casing? I see little point in it tho, from a manufacturing point of view...

Philsutton
15-04-08, 06:20 PM
On what rev limit/\ ?
Standard?

Beavy-If you get a c/x16xe lightened fly, check what type it is.... As a lightened POT type(which c16xe has as std) would weigh about the same as a standard £10 GTE flat fly.....

that always makes me laugh when people spend loads of money getting a pot type wheel lightened when you can just fit a flat type one which weighs probably less to start with.

We even fitted a GTE flywheel to a 1800 16v corsa.

brucer
15-04-08, 07:46 PM
On what rev limit/\ ?
Standard?

was the top bit aimd at me adam??

if so it would be standard limit
(but have double valve springs to rev higher.but are coming off:) )

beavy69
15-04-08, 09:36 PM
This is the fly:

http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=32687&osCsid=c176ff02c6ce68c960cea57d51f0abd9

looks like a pot type as there is a recess in the centre but im not sure.

Weighs 4.67kgs which doesnt seem all that light to me. It was just the only lightened one I could find for a Nova anywhere! Any ideas?

mowgli
15-04-08, 09:56 PM
ok, it would be undergeared by about 10% so the top end at 6000rpm would be about 108 compared to 120. to be honest, I've always found the f13cr to be very low geared anyway. I have even pondered sticking a wr gear set in.

But if you do fit it, get the sr speedo & gear as well

beavy69
15-04-08, 10:47 PM
well that sounds perfect as before the DCOEs (havnt checked since) it struggled over 100mph anyway due to the large spoilers and wide tyres (as before that it did almost 120, and that was without some other engine mods!)

I rarely take it on long journeys anyway due to a) The noise. b) Barely achieving 20mpg and c) "fuzzy hand syndrome" lol

So so long as it doesn't scream at me at 80 I'll be happy :-)

Stuart
16-04-08, 08:29 AM
you dont need to change the speedo ring/drive as its read off the final spinning of the diff case, which is linked to the wheels via no gearing, so no change to its inaccurate output :D

Mike
16-04-08, 01:34 PM
WTF is Fuzzy Hand Sydrome?

tom_beverley
16-04-08, 02:11 PM
WTF is Fuzzy Hand Sydrome?

Exactly what I was thinking!!

beavy69
16-04-08, 09:58 PM
you dont need to change the speedo ring/drive as its read off the final spinning of the diff case, which is linked to the wheels via no gearing, so no change to its inaccurate output :D

Haha excellent.

Fuzzy hand syndrome: If you've never experienced it you're not using enough large powertools! Its the fuzzy feeling in your hands you get after using a grinder (for example) for a long time. I get it from longer journeys lol

They have vibration ratings for it on industrial power tools as it can cause damage leading to what is medically referred to as HAVS (Hand-Arm Vibrating Syndrome) Obviously thats excessive exposure. There are low vibration tools they use in industry but I find my gel weight lifting gloves help alot lol

So does anyone know where I can get a flywheel for the F13 or would it be easier to get mine machined (assuming mine will fit being from an F10?)

tom_beverley
17-04-08, 10:20 AM
Or most probably VWF (Vibration White Finger) which leads to the loss of feeling in your fingers due to no circulation!! (you can tell I've had too many H&S courses!)

On topic. Your F10 flywheel is 190mm diameter whereas a 1600/F13 flywheel is 200mm.

You don't have to change the flywheel to a 200mm one to run the F13 box. If you wanted to then you would also have to change the clutch to a 200mm item.

Stuart
17-04-08, 11:25 AM
if anything changing to a 200mm flywheel will make the starter motor hard to fit...

beavy69
18-04-08, 11:58 PM
think il just get mine machined then while i sort the box. thanks guys