PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to de-vinyl!!!

jon.p
26-08-02, 04:53 PM
hey guys! de-vinyled the centre pillars with a hair dryer, and it was not much fun. does anyone know of an easy way to de-vinyl the boot. (the easier the better!!) cheers, jon

brian
26-08-02, 06:27 PM
a proper heat gun is what i used. the hairdryer isn't half hot enough!

brian
26-08-02, 06:29 PM
you will prob mark the bootlid when doin this and have to paint it so why not get another one without vinyl and paint it. :?

ade
27-08-02, 12:32 AM
heatgun from a distance gentlky waive it across the vynal - you on;ly want to soften the sticky stuff, not burn/melt it.

P{aint should withstand it - its been baked at 140+ so it should be ok - just make sure you waive the gun about dont keep it in one area.

Ade

ollster
27-08-02, 12:44 AM
i agree a heat gun will be fine, i used it on my sri with no problems. When you have removed all of the vynal use white spirits to get rid of all of the glue.

jon.p
27-08-02, 06:30 PM
cheers to everyone who replied. i'll give it a go this weekend. thanks again, jon

cassanova
29-08-02, 09:05 AM
when ure takin off large areas of vinyl (when i take of vinyl signs anyway) the easiest (but most painful) way is to get as kettle on an extension lead and keep pooring boiling water on it, it'll soften the glue and then the vinyl should just peel off, safer than user a heat gun too.

Ford

carltoncrazy
29-08-02, 10:08 AM
well u lot will have a laugh with this,
one of my mates had a shit 1.0,it was reall rotten,but the prevoius owner made it look like a SR.it was a gd rep.
it was sitting in his gardern for.........2 yrs,and when it was really hot it heat the sticky stuff,i only found this out coz i was bord an started pulling rust n stuff off it.
leave it in the sun,worth a shot