PDA

View Full Version : engine help

blackpoolbouncer
12-04-08, 03:41 PM
hi there folks,after recently taking of all my inlet system and engine loom i have come to put it all back together and have run into a few problems:roll:
the car has had an engine conversion from a 1.0 to a gsi engine and the wiring isnt exactly factory in a couple of places from the last person who did the conversion.
i now have a spare wire that splits from the loom at the same point as the crank position sensor and i have no idea where it goes,the wire is blue and is only about 10 inches long from where it splits from the loom to the end and it has a female spade connector on it.when i put a voltmeter accross it it is reading 13.5 volts so it is obviously a live feed for something.

secondly i have a spare wire extra the comes out of the plug for air flow meter which is black and yellow iirc and shows no voltage,i dont think this is anything important to be honest and dont think its factory to be honest,wouldnt mind knowing what it is though.

third thing is the engine runs like a bag of spanners,really rough almost as if its running on 3.i will try and get a video up of the engine later along with some pics of said offending wires :thumb:
any info or help folks will be much appreciated,im at the end of my tether with this

Lee
12-04-08, 03:45 PM
Blue wire is the water temp feed for your dials. Youll find a small button that it clips onto on the thermostat housing.

Pass on the second wire.

As for the runnign rough, could be anything. Usual checks first, plugs, leads, dizzy and arm etc.

Adam
12-04-08, 03:47 PM
Black/Yellow is usually the electrical supply for the electronic choke on a sr carb.

blackpoolbouncer
12-04-08, 03:58 PM
cheers for that,was hoping the wire was going to be something imprtant and it would sort it.obviously not :(
with regards to it running crap ive done all the usual checks,plugs,ht leads,rotor arm,fuel lines,injector seals, and checking theres no air getting in from anywhere it shouldnt be.
can anyone gieme a run down of which vac hoses go and come from which takeoff,tried swapping them all round but this made no difference.timing isnt helping one bit,ive had the dizzy all over theplace and although it obviously runs best when the timing is right its still a million miles from running right and that obviously isnt the problem :(

Adam
12-04-08, 04:14 PM
Are the ht leads on the dizzy in the right order?

Check simple things first.

blackpoolbouncer
12-04-08, 06:59 PM
got it sorted,changed all the plug leads for new ones and its sorted the problem now so dodgy plug leads by the looks of it,just needs a good setup now,its running very rich now for some reason but im getting it booked in for a bloody good set up at a firm called motorsport developements next week as well as having it chipped at the same time i think
E2A; the wire on the air flow meter is blue and yellow if this helps,doesnt look like it should be there but it doesnt seem to be doing anything anyway

Adam
12-04-08, 07:04 PM
Does it have a small terminal on the end of it?

Sounds like an oil pressure switch wire.

blackpoolbouncer
12-04-08, 08:19 PM
yea it does,will sort it out tomorow when i get the brakes finished on my dads merc then i can get it on the ramp and have a good look

Lee
12-04-08, 08:28 PM
Does it have a small terminal on the end of it?

Sounds like an oil pressure switch wire.

Agreed. But that should be on the same loom as the alternator / starter feed?

Does the oil light go out when you start the car?