PDA

View Full Version : Bits needed for conversion

Nova_Tek
10-04-08, 10:36 PM
I know that this must have been asked many many times but I have tried doing a search and I dont think the search is working everything comes up no results.

Anywho,

I want to take my car with me when I move abroad. I see it as a justifyable (sp) move as where I am going there are no Nova's and with a conversion fitted together with the roads over there it will be so much fun :D . (You should see the roads :eek: )

Before I go I want a conversion either an XE or a LET.

Now assuming I have the engine and box and have the chassis either strengthened with plates or stitch welded what other conversion bits wil I need i.e to fit the engine and box into the car.

I have been looking at Chris Astley motorsport site to see what bits I need engine mounts, cv joints etc but there are so many products I dunno exactly what I need, some of them for example has the same or similar parts in the kits :confused:

So can you pro's out there list what is needed for me to use as a checklist?

Things like the engine mount id prefer to convert them rather then chopping and welding as I dont have that sort of equipment. I plan to get bodywork done with all strengthening in the bay and when the car is home, in my own time fit the engine in, so weldless conversions will be best.

The base car: 1985 1.2 Carb Nova, Carb fuel tank, chassis in very good condition no rust on structural areas.

Your helpage will be most appreciated :thumb:

paulnova
10-04-08, 11:34 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86668

:thumb:

Nova_Tek
11-04-08, 08:13 PM
Ok so reading over the thread, cheers paulnova, to be able to fit the engine and gearbox in the car i will need these kits:

http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=52&osCsid=5b3d3af80a1c90c3f8ecee80e5d17d4c

&

http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=35&osCsid=5b3d3af80a1c90c3f8ecee80e5d17d4c

and thats it for the engine to sit in its place. I take it these bolt onto the standard point no need for weld?

Is there anything I am missing here? I know that the chassis leg has to be modified and the alternator pulley changed but Im trying to get my head around it bit by bit so I understand it fully.

Sorry to sound a bit clueless but never done conversion before :)

craig green
11-04-08, 08:29 PM
Whatever preparation you do, you will need extras, or advice & WILL forget something.

Btw, are you clicking 'advanced search'?

Nova_Tek
11-04-08, 08:38 PM
No I wasnt using the advanced search options, pretty sure the site used to search without the advanced search needed!?!

I can appreciate that some spare bits maybe needed but just trying to clarify in theory what is needed to fit in.

Is the above correct?

From what I have read 2 mounts need to be modified one mount is usable from standard so the above parts are what is needed.

Also this helps me calculate budget and part costs.

Nova_Tek
11-04-08, 08:43 PM
Also,

I have no front ARB, will I need to lower the tie bars or is it not needed due to no ARB in use?

Nobby
12-04-08, 01:05 PM
im going to be doing a conversion soon lol from my old knakered shell into my new not so knakered shell, and i think theres a few ''trick bits'' to research first ie gearbox mounts spacing linkages etc probs more

Nova_Tek
13-04-08, 07:08 PM
trick bits? looks like im gona have to investigate a bit.

Will the radiator need to be uprated at all for a XE or LET? If so, will a 1.6 GTE/GSi rad fit a 1.2?

Think my one might need changing anyway.