PDA

View Full Version : De-Handling

cassanova
25-08-02, 07:47 PM
Any1 done this, or any ideas on how to do it best? I'm thinking of using an actuator like i used on my flsuh tailgate and a button under the wing-mirror, seems to be the most common idea, any other places i could put the button? Think its possible to wire it up to a remote central locking device so when the alarm/locking is deactivated, the door will pop open.....?
Any ideas or advice PLEASE!!!
Ford

Ben (lurk75)
25-08-02, 07:52 PM
i think most people who do this use the action from TVR's, not sure on the cost though!

cassanova
25-08-02, 07:54 PM
trooooo, didnt think of doin it that way, as always never think to get a ready made job lol. Cheers, i'll have a look into that.
Ford

?Marty?
26-08-02, 04:13 AM
:lol: Most people WANT to use the action from TVR's, but it costs so much (compared to the nearest available alternatives) they don't. But do it in the STYLE of TVR's i.e. buttons under the mirrors.
If you already have remote central locking you can just wire-up the door pop to the buttons so it's on permanently, since when the car's locked it'd be like pulling on the door handle (it still won't open).

There are other places to mount the buttons. EG behind the side-repeaters, and fit them so you push them to activate the door pop (seen it on a V'Dub). Though why would any-one want them if they don't want the handles, is a mystery to me.

cassanova
26-08-02, 10:56 AM
think this mite end up bein a maplin job with 2 keyfobs, 1 for alarm/locking and then another (hopefully with 3 buttons) for driver/passenger/tailgate popping. Im half considering not having a button at all which would mean i dont need central locking cos even if the doors are unlocked no1 will be able to get in, but with maplin remotes i dont think i can trust them to be unique.
Cheers ppls
Ford

Ben (lurk75)
27-08-02, 11:47 PM
Cass wasnt it you with the broken alarm? if so why not go and get a new alarm fitted with this as an optional extra i think you can work it off a Toad ai606 or some of the cliffords. You definately can of some of the new yank alarms coming over just phone someone like GAP security and ask them what ones will do it and then get that guy who does very reasonable alarm fitting in Cardiff to fit that model :wink:

cassanova
28-08-02, 10:49 PM
yeah lurk, my alarm is fcukd. I'm thinkin about getin one fitted, but im at at one of those nasty points where i dont wana pay for an alarm cos i wanna respray but i wanna take the handles off before i get it sprayed. Think im guna try and find a dirt cheap remote-locking system and put a button under the mirror for the time being. :roll:
Cheers
Ford

Ben (lurk75)
29-08-02, 05:33 PM
yeah im at a decision point with my nova at the moment. see separate poll!

Chris LR
06-09-02, 04:45 PM
Just so you know, as part of the MOT,

'a door must be able to be opened from the inside and outside'

So if your in a crash people can get you out, I don't know how to get around it (prob a tenner to the tester) but i thought you'd like to know.

djp_y2k
07-09-02, 02:19 PM
I've had mine de-handled inside and outside. do as cool marty said. this will mean the solenoid always works but when the car is locked the door wont pop open.

Mine was fine with the MOT. With my alarm the doors lock after 3 secs. I would have thought the alarm company would have thought about the MOT when they made the alarm.

Having the buttons is no different to having the handles.

My buttons are mounted under the mirrors

Booted
24-09-02, 12:14 AM
a mate of mine has her buttons mounted ont he B pillar (i think, its the middle one ne hows), they r wired into solenoids, and then into the alarm, all works off the one key fob, all works a treat, till one of the solenoids went tits up which buggered sumthin in the alarm up and then the car being stranded for like 4 months. but it will be fixed soon hopefully, cos its one sweet nova

turboderv
24-09-02, 06:43 PM
As has been said its say's in the MOT rules that you must be able to open the vehicle for outside as well as inside....however, there is a 'way' round this come MOT time....

...when you go for an MOT leave the windows wound down...then the tester can lean in from the outside to open the doors just as he would if it were a roofless sports car etc....:wink:

s'easy when you know how :wink:

Turboderv.

Ben (lurk75)
24-09-02, 07:02 PM
if you do put the switches anywhere you can still open the doors by them from the outside, as i said before it is something that comes standard on the TVR's and they pass MOT's quite easily on this point :!:

?Marty?
25-09-02, 01:58 AM
My alarm locks the doors about 3 seconds after the ignition is fired up too. It's an anti-hijack thing. But you can press a button on the key fob to unlock them (or they'll do so once the engine is switched off).

Being 'locked-out' if the solenoid fails is a risk you have to take if you want to totally de-handle/de-lock the car. However, if you use a good quality alarm/solenoids, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, if it does happen you can very easily break in without causing any damage whatsoever if you know how (and have a couple of very simple tools - no i'm not a car thief, but i knew a guy who was doing community service for it, and he taught me all the tricks 'of the trade'. Handy to know if you want to prevent it too). If you aren't able to do that, it would be a good idea to have AA/RAC cover, as they are able to get inside the car in the event of a lock out (but only if the door-pins are still in place).

Ben (lurk75)
25-09-02, 05:07 PM
Martys right you can get in a Nova in less than 30 seconds with something as asic as a ruler :!:

But even if your completely paranoid (like me :roll: ) and have tried to stop every possible way of entrance you can buy quater light windows from a scrapyard for a fiver, Job Done :!: