PDA

View Full Version : Sender unit repair

Nova_Tek
10-04-08, 04:42 PM
Seeing as I cant find a sender for my Nova absolutley anywhere I have decided to try to repair it.

I spoke with my cuz recently and he was saying that the exact same thing happened to his car i.e. would only show when full or 1/4 full. He said that the float has a hole in it and would fill up with fuel and wouldnt read properly.

Now if this is true, is it possible to got to B&Q etc and buy a similarly sized float and replace the existing one? Only thing Im doubting is whether or not the plastic can withstand the fuel, seeing as some plastics cannot survive solvents and spirits.

Obvioulsy once I remove it I can tell what the problem is but this is the only solution I can think of. Either that or buy a sealent that is petrol proof.

novacabrio
10-04-08, 07:00 PM
what engine is the car? Year etc? surely someone has a sender?

Nova_Tek
10-04-08, 07:34 PM
1985 Hatch 1.2 Carb.

Someone might, but all motorfactors in the area dont do them, nor does vaux and no breakers, neither does 24/7 spares whom I have also tried.

Have been trying for a couple years now, on and off!

novacabrio
10-04-08, 08:10 PM
i think i may have a old 1.3 unit should be the same but worth remembering that nova gauges are crap anyway

Nova_Tek
10-04-08, 08:18 PM
they may be crap but i'd still rather have one that shows me more or less how much fuel i got rather then having to sometimes rock the car to listen whats inside, now thats ghetto.

if you got a pic post it up I have a image from vaux of what it should be for my particular chassis number.

Cheers fella

meritlover
11-04-08, 10:01 AM
if the float is not floating, why is it still working at full and 1/2 full? could be the tracks on the Pot are worn as it probably spent most of its life at less than 1/2 tank full. you could probably strip out one from a corsa or simelar if the track resistance is the same.
beware of using different floats as the materials are likely to melt or disintigrate with continuous contact with petrol. as you have already stated. you would be safer robbing a float off another tank in a breakers if it is indeed the problem.

Mike
11-04-08, 05:46 PM
I have a 1.4SR sender unti sitting about here.

Royston
11-04-08, 07:16 PM
Quadrant is worn in the middle, if the float was full of fuel I would expect it to show empty all the time, assuming the hole ia at the top.

Had the same problem year ago

Unless you can manufacture a new quadrant and it is etched copper on plastic, would say it's stuffed just need to find a good/new replacement.;)

Nova_Tek
11-04-08, 07:30 PM
cheers for the responses lads. If I had the luxury of actualy finding a new uit then I would have bought it a long time ago.

Just the fact that I cant find one has led me to trying a repair.

1.4 one wont fit apparently.

I can post up a pic of the unit I need see if its the same as yours mate?

Mike
11-04-08, 07:32 PM
I would have though a 1.4 Carb item would have worked??

craig green
11-04-08, 08:02 PM
Worst case secanario is buy & swap tanks with one on.

You wouldnt want one from Vauxhall anyway. Price is horrendous.

Have you checked wiring terminals?

Nova_Tek
11-04-08, 08:07 PM
Vauxhall want 50 quid for one, if they still made them.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4383/fuelsenderoq8.jpg

This is what mine has to be^^

Oh and the wirring is fine.

craig green
11-04-08, 08:13 PM
Shouldnt be hard to find one....

Keep asking, put a wanted in your sig & I'll look out for one.