PDA

View Full Version : Brakes sticking on!

joeSRI
09-04-08, 10:00 AM
i was driving to work this mornin and noticed it wasn't pulling as it should be. I could smell burning and see smoke! i pulled over and the o/s front brake looked like it was on fire!!:eek:

So i limped to work. Now, is there a quick fix to get it home or shall i just drive it with loads of stops. What causes the brake to stick on???

Thanks

Jeff16v
09-04-08, 10:17 AM
Knacker piston in the calipers, get a rebuild kit for the calipers or new calipers. You could get some grips and push the piston back in the caliper but it might not budge. Spay some WD on the piston.

Lee
09-04-08, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Delco callipers lol.

Instead of spending money polishing turds, get a set of 2.0 ATE callipers and 256mm discs on it instead from any 2.0 cav, calibra, or astra.

edit. Although if your still running the wheels you have in your avatar, they wont fit unless you do some grinding, which isnt the best idea in the world. So its service your current ones, or get some 15's on it. (they will fit under 14inch SR steels though)

Leeboo
09-04-08, 02:30 PM
Hi mate, I had this problem a few weeks ago. One of my calipers were sticking, so I went to the scrappy and bought 2 good calipers off a Corsa B, and brand new pads. They bolt straight on, as long as you space the caliper bolts out with 2 washers, also looks miles better than Nova calipers. I have just MOT'd the car so its perfectly good.

Dod
09-04-08, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Delco callipers lol.

Instead of spending money polishing turds, get a set of 2.0 ATE callipers and 256mm discs on it instead from any 2.0 cav, calibra, or astra.

edit. Although if your still running the wheels you have in your avatar, they wont fit unless you do some grinding, which isnt the best idea in the world. So its service your current ones, or get some 15's on it. (they will fit under 14inch SR steels though)

And TD Cavs and Astras. :thumb:

meritlover
09-04-08, 03:01 PM
take the sliding pins off and ensure they are clean and free from rustifications. then get the 2 square rubber o-rings on the pins and fling them away in to the wild to roam free as these cause more harm than good. they are there to protect from water, but they swell up and cause pain and heartache for the poor caliper.
fill the pins and holes with moly grease and fit the caps.

also ensure the piston moves in and out very nicely,
it is a typical problem to have with a nova brakes.