PDA

View Full Version : how do you remove an 8v oil filter spindle ? 'take 4'

jimbob-mcgrew
09-04-08, 08:17 AM
ive asked in 3 different threads and cant get the answers im after, need info from someone thats done it, helping a m8 fit an xe into his nova, and hees not going to run an oil cooler. ive taken the sandwich plate off the 16v which is held in by the spindle, 12mm allen key at its core.

right... now people tell me we need the spindle from an 8v to use in its place if we want to run it uncooled. hees still got the 1.4 8v that was taken out before the transplant, so we thought wee'd use the spindle from that, people say theres a 10mm allen key at its centre but theres not, its ground circular at its core, all the way to the back. is the spindle on this engine a permament thing, or is it possible to remove it, or do we forget about the 8v totally and reverse the 16v spindle that was taken out, its a bit on the long side tho, will invade the filter. i just want some advice from some that knows, thanks.

Welsh Dan
09-04-08, 08:25 AM
I used pipe grips to remove a smallblock 8v one....

jimbob-mcgrew
09-04-08, 08:29 AM
safe dan, that was my next guess, wrap a rag round the b1tch with some big ass grips on the go, cheers.

Welsh Dan
09-04-08, 08:34 AM
I didnt use a rag, it wasnt in tight.

meritlover
09-04-08, 09:04 AM
its a tapered thread into the block, use vice-grips or simelar

Riggy
09-04-08, 01:45 PM
i did this last week it was a pig to get out , i used mole grips on it , ****ed a few threads up but the filter still screws on so i fitted it lol

djshaggeh
09-04-08, 07:52 PM
"jimbob" - switched the spindles now and filters on - job done (easy when u know how, a headfcuk when u dont :D cheers lads.