PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! My GTE has gone pop!!!!

RYAN16V
08-04-08, 08:27 AM
Hi Guys

Last night my Gte had engine failure and died!!!!

Now its time to bring it back to life!! all help welcomed first job is engine out!!!!

then i really think its time to XE the Nova!!!!

anyone got a good one for sale?

Regards

Ryan

LEWI007
08-04-08, 08:31 AM
I'd like to see some pics when you get an XE in there :thumb:

meritlover
08-04-08, 09:37 AM
i really think its time to fix the 1600

chimp007_uk
08-04-08, 10:41 AM
fix the 1600! such a nice gte... i cant really talk as i have an xe, but its in a 1.2 shell.
there's an engine on ebay at the minute really cheap as well...

Stuart
08-04-08, 10:45 AM
two choices..... buy a cheap XE and have it fully rebuilt (with a few fun bits along the way), OR buy a more expensive XE thats had all that done to it (properly, not by some tit who thinks its modded)

oh and a third choice. Fix the 1.6, and make it a turbo lol

craig green
08-04-08, 11:45 AM
Its all down to budget tbh., A drive in drive out rebuild is costing you upwards of a grand on either engine tbh.

Handing them a bare block & crank etc & having the relevant machining done & dealing with assembling a short motor back into your car & sorting the cyl head etc yourself is the best way to save a few bucks.

Get on it & get the lump out yourself. Its not hard & has to be done anyway, regardless.

I say rebuild the 1.6.

RYAN16V
08-04-08, 12:00 PM
i seen that one on ebay but the guy wont give me a straight answer, id like to keep 1600 for weight etc but still want plenty of power.

there is a brand new 2.0 8v engine for sale on ebay which i thought about?

regards

Ryan

anyone know of an xe for sale?

regards

Ryan

craig green
08-04-08, 12:06 PM
Theres loads of XE's for sale.

Jonlem had a few listed the other week. Some low(ish) miles.

RYAN16V
08-04-08, 12:23 PM
who? any links welcome for parts?

Adam
08-04-08, 07:24 PM
So what happened to the 1.6 engine then?

To some people "gone pop" is a misfire due to a dodgy ht lead lol
To me, "gone pop" is no oil pressure, rods through block etc.

Id avoid a 2L 8v TBH, as much effort as the 16v, and a poorer engine.

MC
08-04-08, 07:49 PM
1.6 in a GTE like yours!

Modify the 1.6 and it'll make good power.

MC

Novaboyleon
09-04-08, 08:13 PM
yes what happened to the gte lump? mines a gte and i think there relatively quick for what they are, and with small block engines means it will handles better supposed to an xe nova, so rebuild the 1.6. also i think in the long run the cars worth more of its got the original engine installed.

RYAN16V
12-04-08, 10:11 AM
So what happened to the 1.6 engine then?

To some people "gone pop" is a misfire due to a dodgy ht lead lol
To me, "gone pop" is no oil pressure, rods through block etc.

Id avoid a 2L 8v TBH, as much effort as the 16v, and a poorer engine.

No oil pressure what so ever and the engine sounds like its full of nuts and bolts!!!

reckon the XE is the way to go so if anyone has any guides i would be most grateful?

regards

Ryan

Nobby
12-04-08, 01:10 PM
look in the traders for sale forum chap novarally hes a sound chap and i think he ''had'' a full conversion kit for a nova ie engine mounts brakes exhaust loom ecu all the things you need lol

Adam
12-04-08, 01:28 PM
No oil pressure what so ever and the engine sounds like its full of nuts and bolts!!!

reckon the XE is the way to go so if anyone has any guides i would be most grateful?

regards

Ryan
Articles forum

GTE TURBZ
12-04-08, 02:39 PM
Sell the gte as it is with a blown engine, if thats the case, so someone else can repair it and keep it original. Then go find your self an xe'd nova, theres loads out there, dont spoil this as there aint many about anymore!!!!,

like someone mentioned on here, you'll have a 10 times better chance selling it as a standard 1.6i gte, NOT A 2.0L XE'D GTE!!!!