PDA

View Full Version : what engine for the saloon?

BIGS
08-04-08, 08:05 AM
As the title says really. Am having trouble picking what engine i want. i idealy want a c14xe/c16xe but finding a one down my way is qutie hard unless i am to pay over ?300 for one. Dont think so So the option's are

1. Just keep looking for a small block xe that is a good price

2. Fit a c20xe in ( got spare 2ltr kit ) But have to weld the shell

3. Go for the ltr ecotec as there cheep and can get away without as much welding as a xe

Jack
08-04-08, 08:07 AM
Breathed on V6 :D

3. Go for the ltr ecotec as there cheep and can get away without as much welding as a xe
Probably find most standard C20XE's are the same power these days as an X20XE lol

BIGS
08-04-08, 08:48 AM
Hmm v6 sound yea thought about it. Then relised i want to go round roundabouts not through them lol

Iain
08-04-08, 10:08 AM
What happened to the Sport saloon idea?

BIGS
08-04-08, 10:11 AM
What happened to the Sport saloon idea?

Its still going ahead, but just not engine wise but its 100% going sport on the outside :D

wilson_sri
08-04-08, 10:39 AM
Id like to see a small block xe in there :cool:

peester
08-04-08, 10:40 AM
go for 2l ecotec.. they do throttle body kits for them too..

BIGS
08-04-08, 10:43 AM
go for 2l ecotec.. they do throttle body kits for them too..

Its not going to be tuned, im already building a 2.2 tb redtop, just want something for everyday use thats got a bit of poke

Dod
08-04-08, 10:58 AM
Small Block XE, keep it handling right.

craig green
08-04-08, 12:11 PM
I thought 2.0 ecotec before the thread opened, glad it was an option!

General Baxter
08-04-08, 12:19 PM
im thinking x20xe for my loon, get one with about 30k on for under ?200 lol

burgo
08-04-08, 12:37 PM
:eek: cant beleave no one has clicked c20xe

Dod
08-04-08, 12:55 PM
The 2.0 Ecotecs are pretty soft and more troublesome to wire, also they have that ****ing idiot of a Hydrollic Gear box in them. Unless you're going to fit an F20 or F16, thats going to be a big downside.

craig green
08-04-08, 01:10 PM
2.0 Ecotec & an F15 smallblock box gets my vote.

In time an F28 & Zlet manifold/turbo & pistons would be my plan.

BIGS
08-04-08, 10:01 PM
well seems to be very close between the baby xe and eco, and one one person voted for c20xe which im very shocked at

walshc
09-04-08, 01:28 AM
Small block :thumb:
We can be baby xe`d loony brothers then :D lol

BIGS
09-04-08, 01:41 PM
Well im going to look for a small bolck, But im not going to pay any more then ?150 for one. But ive got to change the engine for pv. So if i cant find one im just going to fit the redtop in my garage then at a later date change it with a ecotec

BIGS
06-05-08, 11:33 PM
well just a update on anyone who is intressted. I went and picked up a baby xe today at a good price of £150 inc lots of new bits. So got 3 weeks to fit it now

walshc
07-05-08, 04:28 AM
Awesome :cool:
Its took me over 3 weeks to get mine in a running lol hope it doesnt take you as long as cause you as many headaches.... :tard:
Bit of advice, DO NOT!!!! strip the thing before fitting it, no matter how much your younger brother says it will be "easier" grrrrrr lol

What did you get? X or C?

ck
07-05-08, 05:01 AM
if u mean do not strip the thing as in do not take the manifolds n that off welll i will be lol, putting the bare engine in and then all manifolds back on. should get this done in a couple of days. just gonna grab a few bits from my mates breakers then were gonna crack on with it. done a small block xe before aswell so shouldnt really have many problems

by the way its an x16xe we got. an early non imobilser one...

Mr.B
07-05-08, 05:11 AM
fit a 2.8 v6 turbo... :D

ck
07-05-08, 05:13 AM
if u buy it for us then yeah lol :)

Mr.B
07-05-08, 05:38 AM
1.0l then? lol

walshc
07-05-08, 12:11 PM
if u mean do not strip the thing as in do not take the manifolds n that off welll i will be lol, putting the bare engine in and then all manifolds back on. should get this done in a couple of days. just gonna grab a few bits from my mates breakers then were gonna crack on with it. done a small block xe before aswell so shouldnt really have many problems

by the way its an x16xe we got. an early non imobilser one...

Ooooh good luck then lol :p thats one of the main reasons why it took me and my bro so long :mad:
Other reason being were sh*t and inexperienced lol but i blame the pre-strippage
Seriously though, try and put it in as one unit, we stripped it because we couldnt figure out how to get the car high enough off the ground to slide the engine etc underneath, we were later advised to lift the car by the tie rods with the engine hoist :roll: lol
Still, was a good lerning curve, albeit a very long wonky one :tard:

ck
07-05-08, 02:12 PM
its all good mate, had the inlet on and off my old corsa a few years ago about 20 times , done a small block xe conversion on a nova before aswell. done a couple head gaskets on them, and a few engine swaps/replacements :). had the inlets off so many times now its stupid lol. can atleast clean the engine a bit when the manifolds are off aswell as its quite dusty...

craig greens engine is one of my old ones, done head gasket on that aswell haha..

1week no problem with the conversion, i reckon a couple days to be honest especialy once we have a pile of everything we need...

chris