PDA

View Full Version : redtop alternator and pully???

Gabbo
06-04-08, 04:11 PM
me and my work mate are puttin a redtop in his nova and i think it must be a later model of the engine as it has the coilpack and PAS on it. i have read the how to guide that is posted on it but cant make much sense of it.
when we remove the PAS pump and bracket there is no way to tension the alternator belt as the alternator it bolted solid.
can any one tell us what to do as to tension the alternator belt please and if you had pics that would be great.
cheers :)

KITT1972
06-04-08, 07:01 PM
the alternator should be on the top part of the engine. The should be a bracket that comes off the intelt manifold. That bolts to the alternator. Put a lever bar inbetween and push back until tight enough then do nut up.

Gabbo
07-04-08, 03:44 PM
how far back can it go before it touches the car though?? or is there plenty of room?

craig green
07-04-08, 03:52 PM
You need an early V-belt alt pulley & a tension arm (belt tensioner) from an early XE. I assume the car you got the engine from had the multi v-belt & serpent belt all running the accessories.

Gabbo
08-04-08, 12:25 AM
yeah it is the multi v type. so will this tensioner tension the alternator belt alone and then the alternator does not need modifying??
cheers

KITT1972
08-04-08, 05:43 PM
nothe whole not needs to come off and a single v alternator and bracket is needed and you will need to replace the bottom pully for a single one or you can get a double v and have one the the grooves machined off