PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Power

Jamienova
05-04-08, 09:12 PM
Any ideas on what i can do to get more power out of my gsi? so far ideas ive got are:

Performance cam kit
Chip or re map
Air filter
many twin 40 direction instead of injection

any more ideas?

Stuart
05-04-08, 09:22 PM
chip/remap (gash) will be useless with T40's

on an old tired/non rebuilt 1.6 with those mods (bar the 40's) might just get to std 100bhp power. sorry to be the bearer of dull news lol

blue_peg_16v
05-04-08, 09:29 PM
dont bother with chip no point, twin 40s or bike carbs are the way forward and will sound great

Stuart
05-04-08, 09:44 PM
hmm yeah old technology is "the way forwards" lol

burgo
05-04-08, 09:53 PM
hmm yeah old technology is "the way forwards" lollmfao

16v_nova_16v
05-04-08, 10:48 PM
just a question how much can u get a set of r1 carbs for and set it up onto a c20xe for and where will i get it from?? cheers j

MC
05-04-08, 11:59 PM
Stuart -smart **** comments are not helpful! Elaborate more.

I think the phrasing was off. Twin 40's unleash plenty more power for little money and effort. Tried and tested route for tuning and as stated they sound great.

Don't assume that unmodded engines are tired and well down on power. Rather short sighted. A friend of mine had a 1.6 GSi with a magnex 4-branch and system, cone filter and a few other placebo mods. The frappin thing flew and was enough to give me a run for my money with all the mods I had.

If you change your cam, sort the exhaust and manifold and run on mappable ECU the car will run very well. You'll be able to run a wilder cam with mappable management too.

MC

Adam
06-04-08, 12:52 AM
Mappable management and a good cam is definently the way forward, which is what Stu was getting at by saying the way forward isn't fitting 40year old technology.

Standard inlet/tb
Flowed head
300+ deg cam
ARP rod bolts to hold the bottom end together
And a ECU system(dta/mbe

Would make for a very nice 1.6 8v engine.

MC
06-04-08, 08:06 AM
I know what stuart was saying, unfortuanately I have the pleasure of knowing him oh too well! lol

He was just being knit picky!

Out of interest, what is the most power that has been extracted through the standard TB?

MC

Stuart
06-04-08, 09:51 AM
not sure what TB wills engine had.... as it was a sort of grpA build but had more in some places than the book said.

But I was under the impression that you had to change to a 3.0 straight 6 TB for that build.

Mark, surely that was 5 years ago? its just that no engine will retain full power for its life span, especially in a nova thats (lets face it) would have been driven hard and not necessarily serviced completely. My rule of thumb is to drop 1bhp/year (to a limit of course otherwise some cars wouldnt be able to move lol). I say all that as its funny seeing a nova GTE on the rollers with just a filter and spangly plug leads and it pulls 110bhp or something equally iffy.

carbs a great thing, but you can get equally (if not better interms of driveability) good performance with an aftermarket ECU and a bit of mapping :D

matthew172
06-04-08, 10:16 AM
or i suppose you could always go down the 1.6 turbo route

Adam
06-04-08, 11:44 AM
Out of interest, what is the most power that has been extracted through the standard TB?

MC
Around 150bhp they had from the GRP A engines.

Chris Astley had 160/170hp on his 1.6 8v, but that was with a larger tb, headwork etc etc.