PDA

View Full Version : Cowling & Indicator Stalks & Dials

thedjse
05-04-08, 01:47 PM
Right guys really p****d off now just cant seem to get this dash out at all.

so far i've got the steering wheel off, glovebox, and side screws out but im stuck on getting the top cowling off, stalks and dials out

This is how it looks now

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/thedjse/My%20Nova%202/DSC00384.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

AlexW
05-04-08, 02:13 PM
The cowling you just pull out and around wiggle it and everything it will come out and then you can remove the stalks as for the dials you just try and get the bottom out, put the side screws back in untill last, and dont forget the nuts holding the top of the dash.

thedjse
05-04-08, 02:17 PM
The cowling you just pull out and around wiggle it and everything it will come out and then you can remove the stalks as for the dials you just try and get the bottom out, put the side screws back in untill last, and dont forget the nuts holding the top of the dash.

I've spent an hour trying to wiggle this cowling out its not going anywhere

I've taken the passenger side top nut if but until i get the dials out i cant take out the drivers side nut off

wont the stalks com out with out the cowling???

Welsh Dan
05-04-08, 02:52 PM
"pop" the cowling off the ignition switch as it sits in a groove, then move it up and over the indicator stalk, moving the cowling to the right. BE FIRM!

With the cowling off the stalks just unplug and unclip.

mowgli
05-04-08, 08:45 PM
taking your instrument panel out will help.

Steve
05-04-08, 10:02 PM
The cowling is a right pain to do on them, I got away with just a small crack last time! The dials come out easy, just push on the top of them and then wiggle them out, you normally have to disconnect the speedo cable from the box though.

The stalks are easy once the cowling is off but you cant take them off whilst the cowling is on.

Dave.
05-04-08, 10:12 PM
on my mk1 i had to remnove the sheer bolt on the colum, so it would drop down and then it just comes free, but then you have to re-fit a 13mm nut to it instead of the sheer bolt, as for the clocks screwdriver on the bottom and push away, theyll pop out :thumb:

Jack
06-04-08, 02:25 PM
I find it helps to put the indicator stalk down, gives you a few more millimeters of wiggling space. Otherwise, follow Dan's instruction.

Adam
06-04-08, 02:37 PM
It does take a fair amount of bending to get it off and over the stalks.