PDA

View Full Version : Decided to treat myself :)

NovaLad
04-04-08, 10:44 AM
Yup thought it was time to take out the trash (my pink sub) and hook myself up with some ubr loud quality bass!

So after loads of searching and ringing people i know about this stuff i came to the conclusion of a KICKER L7 12 Inch Sub!.

SPECIFICATION:

12" L7 2007/08 range subwoofer
12" L7 2007 range subwoofer
Size (IN., CM): 12, 30.5
Impedance: Dual 2-ohms (can be wired as 4-ohms or 1-ohm)
Cone Material: Mica-filled poly/Alum dep
Surround Material: Santoprene rubber
Sealed Box Volume (cu ft) 0.88 - 2
Ported Box Volume (cu ft) 1.75 - 3.25
Dual Voice Coil
Sensitivity 87.4dB
Frequency Response 20-100 Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 100-750
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1500
Top Mount Depth (inches) 6-13/16
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 11-3/16
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price is ?349.99

Four generations of research, revisions, and resilience ? and now the one that started it all emerges as wicked as ever.
The legendary Solo-Baric L7 Subwoofer maintains the throne as the first and foremost authority on bass. Square? You bet! KICKER wrote the book on it, and then patented it. Solo-Baric is the only patented square subwoofer on Earth ? more cone, more air, more decibels!
Available in punishing 8-, 10-, 12-, and 15-inch models, the Solo-Baric L7 utilizes the one-piece, injection-molded SoloKon?, a reinforced cone that provides 16 to 20 percent more area than a same-sized cone on a round sub. The Solo-Baric?s expansive cone area moves more air than the round one, therefore making it louder.
KICKER?s knack for extraordinary bass is evident. The L7 motor structure contains dual high-temp voice coils, a poly-cotton semi-progressive spider (two in the colossal S15L7!), jacketed braided tinsel leads, highly-efficient UniPlate? pole piece/back plate, and a heat-reducing T-cut top plate for outstanding toughness and enormous power handling. The cast aluminum basket yields a super-sealing, rear foam gasket and spring-loaded terminals. A shielding front gasket helps to protect the wide Santoprene? surround.
The Solo-Baric L7 is available in 2-Ohm or 4-Ohm DVC and hammers in a sealed or vented box application.;) You like !!!! Here is some vids of them in action.

2 of the ones i'm getting in custom box, whcih is what i will be doing but with 1 sub.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=drqlNLOyyXM

Better quality vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nWaz6bs5p3I&feature=related

What yas think then :p

Jack
04-04-08, 10:56 AM
Running off what amp?

I'm not a fan of Kicker tbh.

NovaLad
04-04-08, 11:04 AM
For now will be running off 1 of these.

http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&page=view_product&product_id=76

NovaLad
04-04-08, 02:32 PM
What ya think?

BIGS
04-04-08, 02:38 PM
imo you should of gone with a vibe space. my mate had two 15s of the sub you just got and i only had one 12 inch space and mine was louder and sounded much better quality

craig green
04-04-08, 05:09 PM
Tbh most of car audio is down to installation, wiring & setup.

The amount of times I've heard systems that have expensive speakers & sound crap is endless, I've also tweaked peoples systems that they thought were awesome only to hear that they have speaker wires around the wrong way & crossed polarity etc.

People that listen to loud dance music usually think any system is great anyway.
If you are going to fill a Nova with speakers you've got the wrong car IMO.

ednovasr2
09-04-08, 04:24 PM
no point having a good sub and pooish budget amp! The sub will only be as good as the quality signal strenght put throught it the loudest aint it!
What is the Volt output of the head unit as anything lower than 2 and you?ll be better off with a new one of there two. best looking for 3.5 or 4 volts really.

Alpine, kicker, or JL audio work best with those subs!

Hope this helps?

NovaLad
09-04-08, 04:55 PM
The amp will be fine for the sub for now as the RMS aint as high as i thought it would be anyway.

I'll prob be getting a 2 guage wiring kit aswell.

Then later on will be getting components etc...

NovaLad
09-04-08, 04:56 PM
Oh and will be getting a decent head unit aswell soon ish with a screen so that side won't be a prob.

I'm building it up bit by bit not all at once.

imnobby
18-04-08, 12:47 AM
more to the point is how will you ever stop pannel vibration or are you just going to let everything vibrate? no point in having all the fancy subs and amps if to everyone outside the car it sounds like a bag of sh1t and to be honest if you drive a nova like me they are not exactly designed for any base what so ever, only way to stop it is dynamat the whole car and make it weigh as much as a tank and that defeats the whole point of having a nova doesnt it? sorry for the preach but i fink you will find im right AMEN

FUSION X16XE
18-04-08, 07:06 PM
no point having a good sub and pooish budget amp! The sub will only be as good as the quality signal strenght put throught it the loudest aint it!

:thumb:

id get a better amp chap

twistysnovagte
18-04-08, 08:27 PM
i agree with craig the set up has to be spot on for the quality you recieve. belive it or not THELOUDEST amps were rated second best per pound spent in a redline magazine not so long ago so they cant be that bad of a amp. just make sure the set up of the system ie correct guage wiring etc is used for the best sounds:thumb:

NovaLad
18-04-08, 08:45 PM
Belive me it's been wired up for 1 day nearly and it's blowing my head off.

My dads actually told me to turn it down because it's waaayyy to loud.

He thinks i will damage my eardrums.

Took a pic today.

It's not finished at all and that box mite be a temp for now but it does the job.

Can't wait to get some focals components. :D etc...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/MD_Crew/DSC01967.jpg

Jack
18-04-08, 11:17 PM
Either hatchback boots are wayyyy smaller than I remember, or that box is far to big lol

NovaLad
18-04-08, 11:58 PM
Box is big well it is and isn't the rear of the box aint on a angle with the seats lol literally a box shape.

SRimon
19-04-08, 07:36 PM
Ive had an L7...In a Nova in fact i believe I have a pic...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/syep2001/KickerInstall.jpg

Offa Alpine 350W RMS amp, sounded good!

NovaLad
19-04-08, 07:42 PM
Yeah erm... the amp set on fire last night in my boot ahahhahaa!!!!

Don't think the company will give me a re fund either been told by others they say that unless the company wire it up for ya that the warranty is void :(

SRimon
19-04-08, 08:00 PM
I cooked an amp trying to power my L7 too

You need something decent! ALA what I had!

NovaLad
19-04-08, 08:07 PM
Yeah the amp had been in 1 day nearly though and it wasn't even turned up because i got told to break it in.

Sat in car listening to music next thing the bass goes off i smell something ran to the boot to find the amp smoking the place up.

Had to rip it out as it was screwed down.

Jack
19-04-08, 08:24 PM
LOL

Thats why they say not to get stuff from theloudest then!! Yikes!

Did the fuse on the power feed pop?

NovaLad
19-04-08, 08:25 PM
Not that i know of.

As far as i know it didn't travel as far as the cables lol.

Either way i'm 120 down and no more money to buy another amp lol!

Jack
19-04-08, 08:36 PM
Well, my thinking was for it to catch fire it should have pulled in more power than it can handle, so the fuse should have tripped. As the fuse hasn't tripped, the amp was duff and I'd be demanding my money back.

Thats assuming you put the correct fuse in of course.

NovaLad
19-04-08, 08:38 PM
Yes but i've been reading up on them and other people have tried to get re funds and theloudest have basicly said if they didn't wire it up then the warrantyis void so i'm pretty much fooked!

But how do they wire it when they are miles from me.

just vaux trev
19-04-08, 10:35 PM
/\ and thats how they get ya. ive heard nothing but bad about the loudest.com
at the end of the day they are out to make a buck and they do it by putting cheap but more components into ther products and claim stupid power outputs

twistysnovagte
20-04-08, 06:15 PM
get rid of the speaker tom,and put a pair of 10"subs( boxed )and a 600watt alpine/kenwood amp,the sounds are sweet enough, than trying to see if you can pop the back screen out the rubber sealslol :thumb:

oh and im never taking advice out the redline mag againlol

Dave.
20-04-08, 07:06 PM
just goes to show you cna go and buy brand new stuff that sometimes breaks or go and buy some 2nd hand crap like me and itll work forever lol

i wouldve pounted it to the back of the seats tbh tom, its cold metal, the amp gets hot, the last thing you want is it stuck to some lovely carpet is it.. DOH!

tom_beverley
21-04-08, 12:08 PM
Get Audiobahn stuff, I swear by it and you cannot go wrong with it.

Prioritise what you need, tbh I wouldn't do anything without a decent HU first!! Then you need a good amp and suitable Autoleads wiring, then subs, components etc. However, planning your system is most important so that you buy the correct HU channel/watt amp(s) in the first place.

I ran one 10" 600w RMS 'bahn sub with 'bahn components and I didn't need anything else.

Tip of the day: buy your stuff from the US, often it is cheap like for like compared to in the UK (even after shipping!). Also ensure you get the shop to mark the package down as a gift to have a better chance of avoiding the import duty.

Jack
21-04-08, 03:21 PM
Also ensure you get the shop to mark the package down as a gift to have a better chance of avoiding the import duty.
NO! Unless you fancy having a £1000 fine from Customs & Excise (its YOU that gets the fine, not the sender)! Not worth the risk for a few quids worth of duty IMO - I've heard many a tale of people getting pulled up on that when buying stuff from the US and Japan. Customs officers aren't daft and know a brand spanking new amp isn't going to be a "gift". Plus the receipt inside the box with $300 on it won't help lol

Audiobahn is Ok, but I'd consider keeping an eye out for second hand Infinity or Alpine stuff. I've bought both many times off ebay as second hand goods and had no problems.

tom_beverley
21-04-08, 04:08 PM
NO! Unless you fancy having a £1000 fine from Customs & Excise (its YOU that gets the fine, not the sender)! Not worth the risk for a few quids worth of duty IMO - I've heard many a tale of people getting pulled up on that when buying stuff from the US and Japan. Customs officers aren't daft and know a brand spanking new amp isn't going to be a "gift". Plus the receipt inside the box with $300 on it won't help lol

Pah, I've only done it a couple of times and with no problems. I'd put money on those £1,000 fines going to serial offenders. I may have been lucky!!

Martin
21-04-08, 05:00 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bSOezuo68Ic

Need i say more...

Jack
21-04-08, 05:18 PM
Nice, but it still doesn't offset your small dick.

~Trish
LOL

NovaLad
08-05-08, 02:12 AM
Still no amp of my own yet as i'm skint!

Anyway... My mate got his new JBL today (the 1 i want) which he is using to power his kicker L7 same as mine but 15 inch when it comes.

So seeing as though i need a amp and he blew mine i've robbed his for a bit lol

Here it is.
P.S i missed having bass loads was good to here that baby pound again lol
P.S the wiring was temp 5 min job. lol
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/MD_Crew/DSC02012.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/MD_Crew/DSC02011.jpg