PDA

View Full Version : Am i getting mugged

hc coupe
02-04-08, 09:03 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95623

Ok following on from "BANG and there goes second", I've sent the car to a garage.They have just come back saying that it needs to be re-built at a cost of ?700...............does this sound right to YOU !.

Cheers

meritlover
02-04-08, 11:00 AM
thats what happens when you take things to a garage. they will want to remove the box, and get a rebuilt exchange item to put in its place.
rather than replacing the gear cassette or complete box that you can buy out the free adds for ?20.
even if you just bought a 2nd gear new. i replaced 4rth on a 1.5TD box i think it was about ?89 and that was about 10 years ago. brand new gear from vauxhall

Stuart
02-04-08, 11:10 AM
I bet they would simply buy a gearbox from a scrappie, change the oil and fit that then charge you ?700.

this is what you should do, bar paying the ?700 lol

nova lod.
02-04-08, 12:43 PM
youl get a gear box for 30 quid nova corsa astra their practicly all the same mate,honestly youl be able to do the job in a couple of hour your self garadges bloody rip offs:thumb:

Jack
02-04-08, 05:01 PM
Depends whats involved in the "rebuild" - for comparison, my E154F gearbox on the celica cost ?1100 to remove, strip, inspect, put back together (didn't include any replacement parts) complete with new clutch - and thats an engine out job as well....

As said though, probably be better getting a second hand box your self and sticking that on.

burgo
02-04-08, 05:20 PM
jack im not suprised at that at all. have you ever removed an engine and box from a celica?? fooking mission

Philsutton
02-04-08, 05:32 PM
thats what happens when you take things to a garage. they will want to remove the box, and get a rebuilt exchange item to put in its place.
rather than replacing the gear cassette or complete box that you can buy out the free adds for ?20.
even if you just bought a 2nd gear new. i replaced 4rth on a 1.5TD box i think it was about ?89 and that was about 10 years ago. brand new gear from vauxhall

yes that a great idea if your doing it yourself, if your a business and putting on second hand parts that you know nothing about will cripple you. Im sick of fixing engines, ect..... when they break even though the customer fully understands about second hand stuff and when they supplied it.

But 99% of the population assume that yho fitted therefore you ****ed it.

garyc
02-04-08, 06:18 PM
I've got a 5sp cluster you can have, ?15 plus what ever the postage is. PM me if your interested.

Nobby
02-04-08, 10:11 PM
seems abit high for me mate go to a couplef garages that sounds like main dealer quote lol

Lee H
04-04-08, 01:06 PM
jack im not suprised at that at all. have you ever removed an engine and box from a celica?? fooking mission

I have, would never do it again :eek:, getting it back in was even worse lol

jimbob-mcgrew
04-04-08, 09:42 PM
yeh your getting mugged - lol - like they say grab a cheap gearbox from here, ebay, or the free ads like meritlover said and slap it in yourself, you could probably get away with using your standard jack and a block of wood on the gearbox to line up the gearbox mount with the body when puttin it back in, dont forget about the earth strap on the inner wing when you take it out.. common thing to miss, good luck.