PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Speedo into nova

Rich
02-04-08, 12:45 AM
Ok, ive just pulled a c20let out of a calibra, the box has the electical speedo instead of mechanical. I know i need to convert it into mechanical, but im now thinking using the calibras clocks.

Does anyone know how the electical clocks run, off the abs i think it is? Anyone used the electrical clocks, i dont really want to find another f28 with a mechanical speedo drive.

Was thinking somthing like mounting the abs sensor on the hud and wiring it to the speedo?

Rich
02-04-08, 05:14 PM
Everyone as clueless as me? lol

chimp007_uk
02-04-08, 05:21 PM
is it not like the transducer in the the astra gte's? uses the gearbox drive and converts it to a electrical signal and then displays it on the dials?

if it is simply a transducer as used with the digi clocks, you can simply remove it from the box and fit a standard nova speedo cable...

Rich
03-04-08, 01:23 PM
No its not thats the problem, theres no slot in the gearbox to fit the speedo drive at all. Mate has told me you can drill the box as some of the f28 boxes had a mechanical drive, and fit a speedo ring onto the diff. Im not bothered about doing this as i will be fitting a quaiffe lsd anyway so would need to take the box apart.

I was more thinking using the calibra dials but think its gonna be more hassle than its worth.

chimp007_uk
03-04-08, 08:02 PM
i remember someone a while back modding the dash to fit calibra dials the speedo went up to 150?!? it has been done, but iirc it took alot of cutting a modding...

R1CH
03-04-08, 11:37 PM
Calibra dials are a bit of a ball ache to fit tbh, plus as far as i know the electronic speedo runs off the ABS, i can imagine fitting some kind of speed pick to the wheel / hub and the wiring to sort it all also being a knightmare, best bet is to just get the casing machined and fit the F20 speedo ring thingy in the box.