PDA

View Full Version : 16v competition mounts?

dan16v
19-08-02, 10:55 PM
what do you guys run your 16vs on rubber std mounts or is any one on solid comp mounts?
can a nova take the mass stress of solid mounts or should it be ok if its been seam welded properly? :roll:
cheers lads

carltoncrazy
20-08-02, 06:27 PM
right ive neva dont a conversion before.
but im thinkin about kit cars here.
i would keep with the std ones,as if they go solid,one it can make it a bit shit to drive(tried solid on my kitcar and stuck with stand,vibrations).
but i wouldnt be to sure about the nova sheel even if it is proper dont.its not the thickist metal in the world isit.

Voodoo
20-08-02, 09:19 PM
From what I?ve heard, if you use the comp ones on the front mounts and a std on the rear one, the vibes are bearable. I myself am using new genuine vauxhall items filled with windscreen bonder, it's supposed to stiffen them a little without too much vibe, but as the car isn?t running yet, I cant give my word on that.

brian
20-08-02, 10:56 PM
can't tell ya anythin bout comp' mounts dan but i use standard ones and there is no problems. they might be a bit much for regular use! but as i said i don't kno. :|

Ian
22-08-02, 06:07 PM
iirc you have howells car, so u are running same spec as me, comp mounts up front and std on gearbox, i find it fine doesnt bother me at all. howell had the comp gearbox one though and vibrated whole car too much.

id keep it as it is with 2 comp mounts, dont want to be missing any gears when racing :D

Rick Draper
22-08-02, 09:26 PM
I have the same as ian, 2 comp mounts on the front right and left engine mounts and a std mount on the rear one. The car does not vibrate much imho and is no worse than a std nova. Rick

dan16v
22-08-02, 10:41 PM
ok cheers! when i drove it well mike sri did as i wasnt insured it seemed fine just felt abit different to normal mount :wink:

Anonymous
27-08-02, 10:28 AM
Think there is a little confusion here about vibration etc, there are THREE types of moutns available.

Standard, good damping proeprties, but not strong enough
Uprated, eg TAS ones, still damp out vibration farily well, and hold thigns in place nightly
Solid, only any good for track use, usually homemade, transmit all vibration and have a tendancy to encourage bending of the shell a the point where they mount from the torque of the engine.

Personally i think the uprated ones are the best compromise.
TAS ones are very nicely made.

Chip