PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharger help.

Mike
31-03-08, 09:25 PM
I have a problem with my Garrett T2.

Ive replaced: oil seals, journal bearings, thrust bearing & bolts, wastegate housing clamps & bolts.

Put it all back together but for some reason it doesnt spin as freely as it did before?

Priorto its rebuild, you could spin it with your finger, now you can?
Im guessing as theres no oil in it what so ever as ive cleaned it all out that this it the problem? No lube therefore the CHRA is binding with the journal bearings? Correct?

Any help would be erm, grateful lol

craig green
31-03-08, 09:32 PM
Not a clue though I'm not going with your theory. It might have some resistance but shouldnt bind.

R1CH
31-03-08, 10:07 PM
And thats why its not a home DIY job !!

Anyway ... does it spin at all ?? does it feel tighter than it did or does it feel like its binding ??
If your confident its all gone back together ok, then i'd fill it with oil and see if that helps (your gonna need to stick oil in it before you put it on the car anyway)

Mike
31-03-08, 10:11 PM
Yeah it spins, but not freely, not as freely as it did prior to its rebuild (it was in a total poor state prior me faffing anyway)

When it was funked, you could spin it with your finger, however now you cant spin it with your finger at all.

Regarding the "Not DIY job" lol for a turbo that cost me nothing it doesnt matter if its totally funked and has to be sent away lol

burgo
31-03-08, 10:12 PM
mike youve gotta think that all the old parts would have been worn alot and therefore offered alot less resistance compared to new parts

Mike
31-03-08, 10:15 PM
^ thats exactly what i though Luke, hence the binding as there no oil.

The old bearings were oily and worn, the new bearings were clean and not worn. Therefore the old & new would be different sizes due to erosion etc etc

This is why im thinking that its binding/tight becuase the new bearings are "bigger" in effect then the ones removed and nothing is lubed at all.

R1CH
31-03-08, 10:19 PM
As said, stick some oil thru it. Block off the feed and fill it thru the drain, hold it on its end (both ends) and spin it by hand a good few times to get the oil thru it.
If there is any probs then it'll get picked up when you get it balanced ... you are getting it balanced aren't you ?? l ol

Mike
31-03-08, 10:22 PM
As said, stick some oil thru it. Block off the feed and fill it thru the drain, hold it on its end (both ends) and spin it by hand a good few times to get the oil thru it.
If there is any probs then it'll get picked up when you get it balanced ... you are getting it balanced aren't you ?? l ol

I'll get some oil through it and see what happens. Then ill decide what to do about it getting it balanced.

EDIT: Regarding balancing, read THIS (http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-forced-induction/89483-turbocharger-balancing-facts-misconceptions.html)

R1CH
31-03-08, 10:36 PM
I'll get some oil through it and see what happens. Then ill decide what to do about it getting it balanced.

EDIT: Regarding balancing, read THIS (http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-forced-induction/89483-turbocharger-balancing-facts-misconceptions.html)

Not much to decide really ... it needs balanced !! idealy the 2 wheels should have been balanced prior to the build, sure you'll get away without it tho, imo the chra definatly needs balanced. For the sake of ?40 (or there abouts) its not worth risking.

meritlover
01-04-08, 11:49 AM
did you put the beveled circlip on the right way around? if you didnt then it pulls the alloy seal housing against the thrust collar. also what torque did you put on the nut?

craig green
01-04-08, 04:46 PM
Is it smooth when it turns?

Mike
13-04-08, 05:35 PM
Put some oil into it earlier this afternoon, and using an 18v pistol drill with an 8mm socket, fired it up and spun the turbo up. Its lubricating it as oil is coming out the drain.

I still can spin it with my finger, but it does spin. Didnt notice any untoward noises like grining or the such either :D

I have a total of approx 0.2mm left/right play, and 0.0mm back/forth.

R1CH
13-04-08, 08:25 PM
did you put the beveled circlip on the right way around? if you didnt then it pulls the alloy seal housing against the thrust collar. also what torque did you put on the nut?

^^^ Could be worth a check.
No grinding / scraping is always good, but not being able to turn it by hand isn't ideal.
All you can do is fit it, if it works (and lasts) then bonus, if not then hopefully it wont cause to much damage !!

Mike
13-04-08, 10:58 PM
Which beveled circlip? The hoooge fooking thing that holds the housing together on the rear of the snail?

meritlover
14-04-08, 10:56 AM
no. theres one on the back of the aluminium seal plate assembly/thrust plate. its maybe about 40-50mm in diameter and theres an oring between it and the CHRA.
look, i wish you find this usefull if you havent seen it already
http://www.melett.com/turbo-parts-catalogue/garrett/Garrett.pdf
page 4/108 is parts 12 and 8. the circlip im refering to is part 8.