PDA

View Full Version : MK1 Dah Problems

thedjse
31-03-08, 10:18 AM
Hi guys i have been trying to get the mk1 dash out as i want a mk2 dash in

The problem is i cant even get the steering wheel off!!!

The Haynes says use a 3 legged tool (WTF is a 3 legged tool)

Any suggestions on how to get the dash off???

AlexW
31-03-08, 10:24 AM
pop the horn off and un-tighen the bolt dont remove it, then wiggle and pull it there was a thread somwhere on here....

blue_peg_16v
31-03-08, 10:44 AM
the tool can be bought for aloung a tenner it has to legs wich go through the holes in the bottom of the wheel and then has a bolt which you tighten and the wheel pops off

thedjse
31-03-08, 10:46 AM
pop the horn off and un-tighen the bolt dont remove it, then wiggle and pull it there was a thread somwhere on here....

I will try and do that lol

plus sorry about the spelling mistake on the title

Dod
31-03-08, 11:08 AM
Draper supplie a Vauxhall Steering wheel puller. It has 2 legs on either side and a tapered Bolt that pushes the centre of the steering wheel, the steering colume, in as the legs pull the steering wheel upwards. Its trick.

meritlover
31-03-08, 11:10 AM
you can make one with a bit of ms plate and 2 8mm bolts.

Matt2107
31-03-08, 01:32 PM
Be gentle with it.

Using brute force will make it harder.

Nevo
31-03-08, 05:01 PM
Hi guys i have been trying to get the mk1 dash out as i want a mk2 dash in

The problem is i cant even get the steering wheel off!!!

The Haynes says use a 3 legged tool (WTF is a 3 legged tool)

Any suggestions on how to get the dash off???

Hi mate I have recently removed my dash on the mk 1 , I also had major trouble removing it , what we did was pop the horn off , and undid the bolt with the little cliup thingy , then bang some 3 in 1 oil in there round the teeth and just ragged it about for about 10 mins the boof ! it was in my face ( be careful or ull nearly end up breaking ya nose like i did ) lol

PS: Doesnt look like we've broken anything at all ... so ....

General Baxter
31-03-08, 06:11 PM
thats why we said keep the bolt on it ;)

thedjse
31-03-08, 06:57 PM
Hi mate I have recently removed my dash on the mk 1 , I also had major trouble removing it , what we did was pop the horn off , and undid the bolt with the little cliup thingy , then bang some 3 in 1 oil in there round the teeth and just ragged it about for about 10 mins the boof ! it was in my face ( be careful or ull nearly end up breaking ya nose like i did ) lol

PS: Doesnt look like we've broken anything at all ... so ....

Wicked mate gonna try that lol i used to live in bradford mate and dont live fae now fancy coming to help me lol :thumb:

thedjse
02-04-08, 08:25 PM
Right guys i have tried to get this f**king thing off and it aint moving i BOUGHT THIS!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220218520559&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012

Dod
03-04-08, 12:54 PM
Yup, thats the one I have. Well worth the money.