PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with my first Nova !

D3ADLiN3
19-08-02, 03:45 PM
I just got a Mk1 1.2 5dr Nova (I asked for a 3dr :x ) for my Birthday.
I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best bits to start maxxing it out with?

So far its completely bog standard

Any ideas, links, freebies :D ?

bfuller
19-08-02, 04:11 PM
sell it and buy a 3dr!, if not, just go crazy on the engine and suprise people at the lights!

Ric 16v
19-08-02, 05:56 PM
a set of 17's to start with they go straight on with the 5dr novas, dont forget to lower it first, 60mm should be fine, that should make it look a hell of alot better !!!!

?Marty?
19-08-02, 05:57 PM
A set of 17" Kosei RG's is what you want. I just happen to have a set that i might be selling :lol: . Fuuuuuuucking rear disc conversion!

Mr Dan
19-08-02, 07:06 PM
Hey fella, a 5 dr isn't the end of the world. I got a mk2 one a few months ago as it was a proper bargain for a first car. There's just as much to do to it really and it's easier to pile your mates into the back. A well modded 5 door is a bit more unique too. Check out http://www.novaluxe.btinternet.co.uk./novaluxe.htm for some good 5 dr inspiration. Stick with it to get a year or two no claims if i were you then get something better.

D3ADLiN3
20-08-02, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, I checked out the site superdan its given me some great ideas!

Also how much would it cost to get it lowered about 60mm?

And any recomendations of place where I should get it done?

Cheers guys :D

carltoncrazy
21-08-02, 01:27 PM
here we go again.
right he has just started driving so dont say do the engine,coz then i say the word INSURANCE.
if you wanna make it look sweet on the cheap then here some ideas.
GTE front and rear bumpers.makes such a diffenance.serious.and can be done for under 50quid.
or give it a face life,then get GSI bumpers.
you can do the lowering,its piss easy.
look you have something different ok,dont slag en off,chances r if you tell ya insuance ya got 2 doors more,ya insurance goes down,as 2 doors=boy racer
5door=hmm cheap runabout.
well thats my expience.
be different.fenix had a 5dr saloon.til it got shutnet,and every rip it outa him but now people are copying him and doing saloons.
but yes 17 will make you stand out,
where bout in beds ya live,coz il give ya a hand if u want.

D3ADLiN3
21-08-02, 08:38 PM
Where bouts can I get the GTE front and rear bumpers (especially for under $50 :D )

And how do I lower my car? Ive looked for 'DIY lowering' but it keeps going on about buying new springs etc

I dont think im gonna buy any 17's cos ill end up spending more on the car than its worth.

I'll proberly keep the standard 13's and lower it down and around them

hayzsr I live in Henlow which is quite far away from Milton Keynes so dont worry, but thanks for the offer any how :D

carltoncrazy
21-08-02, 09:12 PM
post ad on this web site,load r floating about.
yes you gota buy new springs.and if its lower than 40mm its recomment to buy new shocks,
but note the word recomend,if ya get me.
nooooooo dont do it on 13,looks shjit ya can get some vaux astra lxi wheels for bout 100 quid,look gd aswell.
but yeh i understand bout the car worth bit

carltoncrazy
21-08-02, 09:16 PM
you do have to change springs but really mate its easy.
i aint the guy to talk to bout lowering really as i do off road more so i make my motor high.
sorry mad about my range rover.lol
yes i have completly lost it every1,im seeing pink fluffy clouds as im typeing..........is that a yellow rabbit weeeeeeeeeeeeee.
back tot the subject,
drop shock out change spring put back on thats lowering

D3ADLiN3
21-08-02, 09:20 PM
:D thats preety simple I might give that a try.

What sort of price are we talking about for a set?

dave.gsi
21-08-02, 11:38 PM
lol, easy as that eh?? what about rusted on bolts, grazed knuckles and spring compressors??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

carltoncrazy
22-08-02, 01:16 AM
hey look its a easy job if ya sit n take ya time,aint it.
if im honest m8 pay like 150,prob less for a decent secound hand shocks and springs.see you then get proper good handleing.
yes it may cost more than 40 quid for springs,but it will be alot nice to drive

carltoncrazy
22-08-02, 01:18 AM
nice to drive is shocks and srpings i mean.
tho spring alone will lower.
see the other opotion i jus remeber,
how bout getting some standard secong hand GTE shocks n springs

ade
24-08-02, 08:37 PM
Gmax do a set of 60mm front and rear springs AND shocks (get both) for ?200!

As for fitting, unsure about rears on 5 doors (dunno if same as 3 doors)but fronts are the same - it is straight fwd but you may have probs with stiff nuts ( :o ) on yer suspension strut tops.

You will need a set of spring compressors ("25 from halfords), a 19mm crank neck spanner, 10mm spanner, 9mm socket and a good quality wrench. Some WD40, a length of scaffolding or suitable extension to help get leverage of bolts are struck (or in my case a drill so you can drill the fu cker out!!!). Torque wrench should also be useded to tighten back up (?50 halfords - suspension is pretty serious stuff!) but garage can do that for ya!

If you want a breakdown on fitting fronts (and rears for 3 door which may be same as 5 door), send me yer e-mail address, I have full set of pics when I did mine! Easy!

As for styling - just tidy her up - get some nice ICE, wheels, lower it, add a front splitter, skirts, spoiler etc...

for wheels, skirts, bumpers, spoilers etc, contact Colin Smith at www.novarally.co.uk hes always got tons of bits kicking about - he races novas. Had stuff from him - very good! or post a wanted on this site!

Ade

:D

carltoncrazy
24-08-02, 10:47 PM
ADE!!!!one more post and ya posted a thousand.yay.lol
mate if ya live with ya dad chances are his got the tools(or get him drunk and get him to buy em)
try gettin him proper piss and he probley pay for ya insuance aswell,
work for me at 17