PDA

View Full Version : c20xe nova only starts when its bumped

chrisj_88
30-03-08, 05:36 PM
hey all, my 2.0 16v nova failed to start a few weeks ago, when i bumped it it started first time. i thought this was due to not having much fuel in the tank, so since then i have kept the tank pretty full, and it has started fine everytime, however,

thismorning, with a full tank, the car wouldn't start again, bumped it and it started first time. also after a small drive, once the engine was turned off, it started by turning the key no problem. on this drive i also noticed that my temperature gauge/sensor wasn't working. half way through the drive the gauge started working again.

could a dodgy temp sensor cause the car not to start?

any other thoughts on this?

cheers, chris.

NovaLad
30-03-08, 05:48 PM
Could be the battery.

blue_peg_16v
30-03-08, 06:53 PM
the temp sensor may be arcing out check that the blue wire from the thermostat for any bare wire mate not sure about your starting prob, but battery would be my first suspect

AlexW
30-03-08, 07:25 PM
could be your alternator starting to go, but check what /\ they /\ said

Rich
30-03-08, 08:23 PM
Does it turn over when it fails to start? It not it sounds like the starter

chrisj_88
31-03-08, 11:05 AM
yeh it turns over perfectly, its like trying to start a car with no fuel in the tank

meritlover
31-03-08, 11:08 AM
perhaps there is a high current drain causing a voltage drop at the pump. check the condition of all the earths and the power cables. if it still doesnt run put a teaspoon of petrol in the plug holes and see if it splutters, this will tell you if its just a fuel delivery problem.

ben doodar
01-04-08, 12:10 AM
a friend had a very simaler problem, was due to a faulty coil. maybe worth a try if you have one knockin about? dosnt rule anything out about the temp sensor though.

chrisj_88
01-04-08, 08:26 PM
had a look at the blue temp gauge sender wire, it was a bit frayed at the end but it was very loosly connected to the sender, ive jammed it back on well but it still wouldnt start this morning, but this evening it started first time :S i hate temprimental problems, sounds like it could be due to dodgy wiring somewhere, any other ideas?

cheers for the help so far guys