PDA

View Full Version : xe cylinder head work

16v Nova Kev
29-03-08, 05:14 PM
im going to be rebuilding my engine and while the head is off i was thinking about getting it skimmed polished and the valves re seated is it worth getting more done like ported and big inlet valves im interested to see what others have done its just going to be a for a track car:thumb:

Stuart
29-03-08, 06:16 PM
what intake setup have you got? ie ITB's or standard (that includes any fagging air filter gheyness lol)
What cams are you running?
What engine management are you running (std inc "remap" or aftermarket)

Novaboyleon
30-03-08, 12:25 AM
if you are goin to modify any standard head, make sure u do it to a coscast one and not a gm head, just incase it goes porous!

Stuart
30-03-08, 09:57 AM
excellent use of a spam post there :p

the KS heads are fine as they DONT go porous for a start, and the crack that occurs is easily fixable.. or rather I'd do the fix while the head is off before the head gets chance to crack. Job done and no need to pay the stupid rates for a coscast head.

16v Nova Kev
30-03-08, 11:34 AM
where does the crack occur im taking the head off this week i will look for it

Stuart
30-03-08, 11:52 AM
hope youve got xray specs ;)

http://www.orsas.com/CarStuff/cav

16v Nova Kev
30-03-08, 02:36 PM
stuart you are a legend m8 thanks im going to get the head preasure tested this week. forgot to say the engine is standard cams and management for now thinking about getting the cams reprofiled and have been offered a set of 45s with manifold.

Stuart
30-03-08, 08:31 PM
Id get a basic "port" job done if its cheap enough... ie take out any casting lines, tidy things up and generally make it a bit better, without making it a PITA with regards to the std mangement etc

If I had an XE and it was in bits, I'd get the fix done regardless of if it had cracked :D

I think JonLem on mig (maybe here too) did an alternative fix to that link, but I couldnt find it in searches.

ok it was Joff lol
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/340906-thought-id-have-go-porous-cracked-head-modification.html#post3505511

16v Nova Kev
31-03-08, 06:51 PM
cheers again stuart while the head if off i will give that a go p.s is a loss of compression on number 3 cylinder (common)

Stuart
31-03-08, 07:31 PM
erm.... got pics of the gasket and head face? it might be a simple gasket failiure, or something like head warping if it got hot.

16v Nova Kev
31-03-08, 07:39 PM
i will be pulling the head off it this week:p lol so when i do i will post some pics

16v Nova Kev
05-08-08, 07:43 PM
got a price for head work valves re ground 3 angle valve seats a skim and polish and ported 440 plus vat

white2lSR
05-08-08, 08:57 PM
if you are goin to modify any standard head, make sure u do it to a coscast one and not a gm head, just incase it goes porous!

GM heads respond better to flow work :thumb:

16v Nova Kev
06-08-08, 07:45 PM
dunno if its worth the money tho