PDA

View Full Version : Help - Car Insurance

MattyWoo
18-08-02, 12:53 PM
I'm 17 and have got my test in a few weeks, now comes the subject of insurance.
What sort of things do i have to declare as modifications, i've got a 1.2 merit with sr wheels and bumper, lowered 40mm, peco exhaust also with an alarm/imobiliser.
Also who are the best people to go with if i'm goin to have to declare these mods. I'll be insuring it in my name.

dan16v
18-08-02, 02:56 PM
im with liverpool victoria on 0800 608 608 im paying ?825 fully comp on a 16v all mods declaired and 3points :lol:

djp_y2k
18-08-02, 04:59 PM
You should realy declare everything. For the bumpers just say they are standard nova bumpers off a newer nova.

I was with privelage, and it wasnt to bad. Just phone around until you get a price u are happy with.

carltoncrazy
18-08-02, 10:12 PM
perosnal i think ya gonne be paying next to nothing.
see all ya MODs hardly do anything to the preformance,thats wot the company bother about

ade
19-08-02, 12:42 AM
I agree with Hayzsr - I've just modded my car from 1.2 merit to gsi looker (1.2 engine still though) - went with liverpool voictoria and fully comp 4 yrs no claims (I'm 32) I got quote for ?245!

lol - kwik fit my prev insurer wouldnt even touch me - the best they would do was ?1400 and only after engineers report stated car was safe (I changed interior)

Check back a few posts theres a great one from SID (i think) who made a fuill list of all the top insurance companies.

Ade
8)

dave.gsi
20-08-02, 12:08 AM
lol.....cheap.........the insurance men will have a field day with you and will have no end of trouble shafting you for over a grand. my advise, don't declare the mods cos at the end of the day its only a bumper and wheels and they can be changed back to standard in a matter of minutes.

dan16v
20-08-02, 06:49 PM
not if your cars so mangled and you end up killing some one. why take the risk?? you could end up in shit city if you lie dont bother m8 go with liv victoria theyll sort you out and your be LEGAL! :D

dave.gsi
20-08-02, 10:55 PM
errrm......if u kill someone you're up shitty creek anyway, a few months away from home most probs

Phil_G
20-08-02, 11:21 PM
aye,

but kill someone with an un insured car then youre further fucked...

Phil

MattyWoo
21-08-02, 04:39 PM
CHeapest quote i've had so far was not declaring the mods, and with norwich union, was ?1500 quid, thats qith a cat 1 alarm tho!! apart from that its been no where below 1800 quid!! i've tried direct line, cis, norwich union, elephant, admiral etc.

Aragorn
21-08-02, 06:05 PM
u insuring it in your own name??

if so put it in your parents/grandparents/aunties name with you as a named drievr and taht should pull it down a bit

i was paying just over 1k for a 1.4 saloon on a h plate under my da's name

MattyWoo
21-08-02, 08:24 PM
I read the insurance FAQ on the novaload page and that put me off doing it under my mums name because it said:
"- Make and model of car (if old/inexpensive, higher likelihood of young driver being principle).
"
so that sort of changed me mind, the car is registered in me mums name tho cos i thought she was gonna insure it for me.

Griffin
21-08-02, 08:36 PM
I tried Liv Victorias quick quote system as i'm not 17 yet and looking for a nova, all they asked was age, sex, post code, no. of yrs no claims and ur car details. The quote range they gave me in my name, TPFT was between ?850 - ?1150. Which I thought wasn't too bad, this was on a 1.3 SR too.

Give them a ring, as I'm sure they will give you a good quote (I'm gonna when i get something!) :)

MattyWoo
21-08-02, 09:14 PM
ave liverpool victoria got a website?????

carltoncrazy
21-08-02, 09:55 PM
hmm hope so coz my lience like a marking bord,(lots of point)
yeh if they got one give me a shout,i want be cruising inme range rover again.
so if they insuare cheap then yay

dave.gsi
21-08-02, 11:20 PM
don't bother with insuring under parents name cos although the quote may go down a bit, you'll be stuffed when u wanna start your own policy. i payed ?1060 tpft for my first car.....a 1.3sr when i was 18, when i turned 19 with 1yrs no claims the quote halved to ?535!! so just grin and bear if for the first year cos it gets cheaper the more ncd u build up

MattyWoo
22-08-02, 04:35 PM
Well Liverpool victoria seem about half the price of everyone else, i jsut phoned up for a quote, they offered me fully comp on a 1.2 merit a quote of 835 quid which i was well chuffed with!!!!

dan16v
22-08-02, 07:06 PM
see m8 good huh! the main reason why fully comp is cheap is because the list price of most of our cars is pennies its just nice to know you can get a little back but 9 times out of 10 its not worth claiming as your ncb is more valuble than ur cars list price :)