PDA

View Full Version : got a tricky one for ya...

jon_boy
18-08-02, 12:25 AM
im trying to put the dials out of a nova sport (i think thats wot theyre from) into my mk 1, 1.2. is there any way i can make the rev counter work as this has challenged me for some time. im lost for ideas. ne one got a clue? cheers, jon

rapid-nova
18-08-02, 12:37 AM
its actaully quite easy on the back of the clocks theres a terminal for a spade terminal just link a wire from that to the coil think its the black wire but not 100% sure so put it on that on first start the car and if it works hey presto if not its the other one it wont do any harm ckecking both

Aragorn
18-08-02, 01:14 AM
there should be a green wier taped up in the loom behind the dials - thats your rpm wire

if its not there then run it from the coil - the green wire SHOULD be on the coil so just splice into it

carltoncrazy
18-08-02, 11:26 AM
you took a nova sport apart?do you know how rare they are?
any how pop bonnet look at ya ing coil and it should have 4 wires coming from it,well thats in my Sr.
any how in a 1.2 i saw it only had to,know if this is the case run along to the scrappy and get a proper plug,as yes you can adopt yours but it gonna be sh** as its going let water into the connection.
but most nova`s already have the wires,so 4 wires on the coil.follow ya wires back and the,9 dought they will have the plugs,but plug em into the clocks and it will work.
oh jus a hint tap the dail if it dont work,

jon_boy
18-08-02, 01:16 PM
no didnt take a nova sport apart, found one that was a complete right off a few months bk in a scrappy near me. the dials were about the only thing alive so i yoinked 'em. only just got round to puttin em in tho. bit of a mission.

jon_boy
18-08-02, 01:17 PM
cheers for ya help anyway lads, much appreciated. :D

jon_boy
19-08-02, 01:36 PM
hhmmm had a look and got confused. took the clocks out and couldnt find a green or black wire sittin about. wot is this crazy coil thing that im wanting to look for. im not much of a mechanic so please make it simple! cheers for any help, jon

Ben (lurk75)
19-08-02, 05:51 PM
the coil should be attached (by a lead) to the distributor it kind of looks like the windscreen wipers motor.

rapid-nova
19-08-02, 07:24 PM
yeah if you skwint your eyes

brian
19-08-02, 11:20 PM
the coil is the first thing behind the passenger side headlight. a lead comes off it. :wink:

Doc
20-08-02, 09:20 AM
If you dont know what a coil is you seriously need to get hold of a nova Haynes manual. Once you get used to the layout the manual is like the bible! Theres always some up for sale on e-bay, usually go for about ?6-?8, or you can buy a brand new one for ?15. Check ouy
:wink: http://www.haynes.com/

Doc
20-08-02, 12:05 PM
Here, ive found one for you! Only ?4 and looks in good condition. Bidding finishes in a day or 2. Check it out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2131276226

Doc
20-08-02, 12:12 PM
Found another one for you 1983-89 covering all mk-1's inc' GTE

ONLY ?2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1759678689

jon_boy
20-08-02, 11:01 PM
ah, cheers lads. and yeah iv'e been meanong to get a haynes, but usually just wrok things out for myself. im not so good with wires tho. make things burn....long story

Ben (lurk75)
20-08-02, 11:25 PM
i do look at things kind a bit squinted at times! :?