PDA

View Full Version : Guide Needed

thedjse
28-03-08, 12:39 PM
Hi guys anyone have a guide on how to remove the mk1 dash and fit a mk2 dash????

Thanks

Matt2107
28-03-08, 12:57 PM
They'll be one somewhere.

Try searching in the Technical.

Don't forget you'll need the heater pipes from the mk2 as they are different from the mk1.

thedjse
28-03-08, 01:11 PM
What do they look like mate and how many are there because im going to pick one up

Jack
28-03-08, 01:53 PM
Give me a mo and I'll write a brief guide.

thedjse
28-03-08, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jack

Jack
28-03-08, 02:17 PM
There's no official article for it, but there's a number of threads where people had detailled their conversions. Unfortunately, the search engine doesn't handle search terms shorter than 5 characters - "dash" doesn't work - so they're quite elusive threads.

Essentially, the conversion goes something like this (from memory so may be a bit flakey in parts):

Need:
Mk2 Dash (with all ancilliaries, switches and plugs with a bit of wire)
Mk2 Glovebox
Mk2 Vent trunking (OS, NS, Centre)
Mk2 Heater matrix control rods
Philips Screwdriver
10mm spanner

Mk1 dash removal
Remove steering wheel. Remove steering column cowling and indicator/washer stalks. Undo nuts either side of the dash (2 each side). Remove glovebox (Open the lid to see the screws, possibly one at rear too iirc. Don't forget to disconnect the light if you have one!). Undo NS below-windscreen mount nut. Remove dials. Undo OS below-windscreen mount nut. Pull dash forward, unplugging switches as you go. Heater controls have clips either end of the rods - carefully undo the heater end clips and remove with dash. Remove any heater ducting.

Mk2 Dash Prep
Rewire switch plugs - heated RW/central blower, heaadlight, hazard switch (colour for colour, but the heated RW one needs tweaking - see Haynes for wiring info). Confirm your Mk1 heater matrix has side holes punched for the dash side vents (if its poverty spec, this is unlikey - either chop the holes out, or swap for a Mk2 matrix).

Mk2 Dash installation
Position Mk2 dashboard. Attach heated RW/blower rotary controls wiring. Attach Mk2 heater cables to heater matrix. Replace Mk1 OS and NS sub-windscreen mount nuts. Replace Mk1 side mount bolts (2 each side). Insert Mk2 side blower vent trunking (if required) and Mk2 centre vent trunking. Fit Mk2 centre vent top section. Fit Mk2 headlight switch surround top section. Fit dials*. Refit Mk1 indicator/washer stalks. Fit Mk2 dial cowling. Fit Mk2 glovebox.

*Ideally, you want Mk2 dials as well, due to them having the three mounting tangs. However, you can wedge the Mk1 dials in place by putting a bolt in the top mount and bending it down.

thedjse
28-03-08, 02:26 PM
wow that seems well scary i though it was easier than that lol

Jack
28-03-08, 02:47 PM
Tis actually a lot easier than it sounds, the hardest bit is sorting out the wiring - if you have a haynes manual, just do a little bit of homework beforehand and you should be fine.

Heck, if I can do it, anybody can lol

Philsutton
28-03-08, 03:00 PM
Jack you missed out the fact that you need a massive hammer some petrol and a box of matches to finish off the job.