PDA

View Full Version : gear linkage problems

KITT1972
28-03-08, 12:19 PM
has anybody had problems doing a a gear linkage on a xe in a nova. I cant seem to get it right. The way I am lining it up is using a 4.5 mm drill bit in gear box. Then moving the gear stick to the middle then to the left of that the white knuckle is matched up the the liitle noch at the top of the plastic arch inside the tunnel. Then let the drill bit go and then test. When i have done this all the gear select fine until I switch engine on, then when i put it id reverese it crunches first all other gears are fine. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ?????

Welsh Dan
28-03-08, 12:21 PM
Flip the white universal joint around so it reaches farther.

KITT1972
28-03-08, 12:27 PM
sorry forgot to mention I have already done that

meritlover
28-03-08, 12:34 PM
if it crunches in reverse perhaps your clutch is in need of some adjustment?

KITT1972
28-03-08, 12:47 PM
the clutch is adjusted as far as it will go there is no more room. I have also fitted a brand new three piece clutch

meritlover
28-03-08, 12:49 PM
well are you sure the offset on the clutch/flywheel is correct? it is not right that you should be at the end of your adjuster!!

KITT1972
28-03-08, 12:51 PM
yes i am at the end of my adjusted how do you do the adjustement then

KITT1972
28-03-08, 12:54 PM
how to you check the offset then

meritlover
28-03-08, 12:54 PM
it should be done from the cable, however, if you are using a non std clutch you should measure the stand off/ offset from the friction surface on the flywheel to the step where the pressure plate is mounted. if there is even 1-0.5 of a mm wear then it will cause adjustment problems on the clutch.
the fact that you gears select properly with the engine off suggests to me that the gearbox is not fully dis-engaging from the engine.

meritlover
28-03-08, 12:57 PM
how to you check the offset then

i sit a steel rule edge on across the flywheel, then use a depth gauge or a vernier to measure from the friction surface up to the edge of the rule. if it is inline with the clutch manufacturers specifications then it is ok. if it is too large you will have to remove the dowels and skim the raised face, if the distance is too small you will have to skim the friction surface.

KITT1972
28-03-08, 01:05 PM
im sure it is fine coz 1first gear and secound gear r ok as I it works like a normal clutch.

meritlover
28-03-08, 01:07 PM
does it or does it not select properly with the engine off?

KITT1972
28-03-08, 01:10 PM
It seems to select 1 - 5 ok but reverse doesnt select very well with engine on or off better when off

KITT1972
28-03-08, 01:11 PM
i am thinking the gear box or the linkage or clutch cable, if i adjust the clutch cable fully or half way on the thread it still works the same

meritlover
28-03-08, 01:12 PM
perhaps you just need to adjust it a ball hair off from where it should be on the pins. possibly due to wear in the linkage somewhere its lost about 1-2mm of travel. just experiment with different adjustmentations.

KITT1972
28-03-08, 01:20 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking i have been to the breakers yard and got a new linkage and also purchased a brand new new clutch cable.

meritlover
28-03-08, 01:21 PM
i wish you all the best of luck with your gearbox problems!

Welsh Dan
28-03-08, 05:55 PM
Put the box and stick in reverse, then tighten up the clamp on the linkage and see if it goes into reverse smoothly then.

Adam
28-03-08, 05:58 PM
If you cant select reverse with the engine not running, then id put money on linkage.

Cable adjustment only effects it when the fly/box is turning(engine running)

KITT1972
28-03-08, 06:59 PM
i have taken linkage off and done in manually in engine bay and it still crunches, its as if the clutch has not been pressed as you can hear the gears still turning, it as if the clutch is not disengaging. maybe the clutch plate is working properly, it is new though,???????

Welsh Dan
28-03-08, 08:27 PM
Time to split the box?

KITT1972
28-03-08, 08:29 PM
I think so, not looking forward to it and dont no what i am looking for:mad:

Welsh Dan
28-03-08, 08:36 PM
Take the end plate off and drain the fluid into a large container, then with the box in neutral remove the selector turret. Take the next "set" of bolts out from the passenger side end, the box will need some persuasion to come apart.

This is what the cluster from an F13 looks like, an F16 or F20 won't be the same, but will be similar:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/reverse.jpg

I've highlighted reverse in that pic, as you can see it has an extra cog, and is straight cut. The angle to all the other gears helps them mesh, and makes them quieter. If yours is damaged then you may aswell replace the gearbox, but armed with the knowledge on how to inspect the cluster, you shouldnt get a knackered one from the scrapyard ;).

The 'box is put together like this:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/gearboxsketch.jpg

When you take the end plate off you can see the gears for 5th. The cluster itself comes out with the next section (red).

KITT1972
28-03-08, 09:26 PM
so do u think is sounds like a gear box problem rather than a clutch problem, would the gear crunch with the clutch press down if there is a gearbox problem, or not disengage if there was a gearbox problem as i have another gearbox which is f20 do u think just changing the boxs over would solve the problem. Can you put a clutch is wrongly. all i did was put the clutch on the the plate made sure it was lined up, then tightened the bolts all the way round, its brand new, also replaced the realease bearing can you get that wrong I took old one off which was ok and replaced it. have i done anything wrong

Welsh Dan
28-03-08, 09:29 PM
If you have another box then I'd fit that, as it will give you chance to inspect the clutch aswell.

KITT1972
28-03-08, 09:37 PM
what makes the clutch disengage is it the clutch plate??? if it if is there a way of nowing if it is faulty or not?? as the level bay that attaches to the clutch realease bearing isnt very stiff to push back, I alwys thought they where very stiff to push back

meritlover
29-03-08, 12:11 PM
if its more of a problem when the engine is running its almost certailny a clutch problem.
like i said, even though a clutch is new, if its not offset correctly it will not work nicely.
last test is to jack the car up and support it well with the front wheels off the ground, start the engine and try and select the gears, if it goes in easier and the wheels 'drag' then its a disengagement problem.