PDA

View Full Version : gsi ronal alloys

boyle_46
27-03-08, 08:20 PM
Ive seen a few people mention the numbers et 39 and was wondering what this actualli means :confused: any suggestions ? cheers . Nathan

Iain
27-03-08, 08:24 PM
Offset. Plenty of guides can be found via Google explaining it.

Asa-James
27-03-08, 08:35 PM
borrowed from a vw site...

What does Offset mean?
Offset is the distance between the hub mounting face at the back of the wheel and the wheel's centreline.

http://www.matey-matey.com/offset_diagram.gif
Offset is usually stamped or engraved into the wheel and is measured in millimetres of 'ET' [ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth']
Positive Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the front face of the wheel. Most front wheel drive vehicles have positive ET wheels. Eighties and Nineties Volkswagen wheels are usually ET38.

Zero Offset wheels have their mounting face even with the centerline of the wheel and are by definition "ET 0".
Negative Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the rear of the wheel - powerful rear-wheel drive cars often have wheels with negative offset.

What does PCD mean?

PCD stands for 'pitch circle diametre' and is the diametre of a circle drawn through the centre of your wheel's bolt holes. P.C.D. is measured in millimeters and also indicates the number of studs or bolts the wheel will have. Volkswagen Alloy Wheels are usually either 4x100 [i.e. 4 bolt holes drilled through the centre of an imaginary 100mm circle] or 5x100 [VR6s, GTis and MK4s]
What does Centrebore mean?

The 'centerbore' of an alloy wheel is the size of the hole at the back of the wheel which the 'hub' fits into. To help the wheels to seat properly this hole needs to be an exact match to the size of the hub.
Most modern wheels are what's called 'hub-centric' - this means that the hub which protrudes from your car [and mates with the equivalent sized hole at the back of your wheel] is 'load bearing'. All the studs or bolts do therefore is hold the wheel onto the hub!
If you have' lug-centric' wheels, the state of your studs or bolts is obviously more critical - be sure to replace these from time to time and always 3/4 tighten the wheels off the car to ensure they're centred.

Riggy
27-03-08, 08:39 PM
^^^ someone stick that somewhere

boyle_46
27-03-08, 08:41 PM
nice one lads :D

Asa-James
27-03-08, 08:44 PM
got it from matey-matey.com, in the tech section.

Jack
27-03-08, 09:05 PM
Note that there's no gospel as to which way is positive offset, and which way is negative. That diagram above implies deep dish wheels are negative, yet some (myself included) consider that as positive offset.

Asa-James
27-03-08, 09:17 PM
theres always one...

boyle_46
27-03-08, 09:25 PM
its what makes Jack jack lol

craig green
28-03-08, 01:34 PM
I've got ET49 tattoo'd on the back of my neck!

meritlover
28-03-08, 01:38 PM
I've got ET49 tattoo'd on the back of my neck!
PICS, PICS!!!!:eek:

craig green
28-03-08, 01:44 PM
Ummmmm Camera is dead....... LOL